Main Menu
Join Undercurrent on Facebook

The Private, Exclusive Guide for Serious Divers Since 1975 | |
For Divers since 1975
The Private, Exclusive Guide for Serious Divers Since 1975
Join Undercurrent on Facebook
"Best of the Web: scuba tips no other
source dares to publish" -- Forbes
 

Dive Review of Divi Flamingo in
Cayman Islands/Cayman Brac

Divi Flamingo, Dec, 2004,

by Michael Bergen, CA, USA . Report 1532.

Reporter and Travel

Dive Experience 101-250 dives
Where else diving Cozumel, Bonaire, Bay Islands, Monterey, Belize, Channel Islands, Bahamas, USVI
Closest Airport Getting There

Dive Conditions

Weather sunny, windy, cloudy Seas calm, choppy, surge
Water Temp 78 to 82 Fahrenheit Wetsuit Thickness 3
Water Visibility 45 to 70 Feet

Dive Policy

Dive own profile yes
Enforced diving restrictions Be on board with 500 PSI (per person, not per buddy team)
Liveaboard? no Nitrox Available? N/A

What I Saw

Sharks 1 or 2 Mantas None
Dolphins None Whale Sharks None
Turtles > 2 Whales None
Corals 4 stars Tropical Fish 5 stars
Small Critters 3 stars Large Fish 1 stars
Large Pelagics 2 stars

Underwater Photography 1 (worst) - 5 (best):

Subject Matter 4 stars Boat Facilities 4 stars
Overall rating for UWP's 4 stars Shore Facilities N/A
UW Photo Comments No camera table on the boat, but there was a dedicated camera tank. Great photo shop with experts to ask questions of.

Ratings and Overall Comments 1 (worst) - 5 (best):

Accommodations 5 stars Food 5 stars
Service and Attitude 5 stars Environmental Sensitivity N/A
Dive Operation 5 stars Shore Diving 1 stars
Snorkeling N/A
Value for $$ N/A
Beginners 3 stars
Advanced 5 stars
Comments The Cayman Islands are located between Cuba and Jamaica. The largest is Grand Cayman (where Cayman Air has their hub) with the nightlife and above-water attractions, and the two sister islands located 90 miles east are Little Cayman and Cayman Brac (brac is Gaelic for bluff), known for their diving. Grand Cayman was devastated by Hurricane Ivan, so most of the tourism was detoured to the other two islands. We were diving in Cayman Brac (okay, off the Brac technically), so we ended up meeting many more people in our resort than we would have otherwise but the dive boats were not overly full.

The resort had big clean rooms, clean running water, Jacuzzi (which we ended up using as a gear rinse tank) in the bathroom, lots of good food, and great grounds crew. And a well-stocked bar. Divi Tiara is a fabulous place to go for diving. We both highly recommend it.

On the 24th we met the dive crew. Hands down the best crew either of us have ever met. They not only knew the water, the boats, and all the dive sites, but took care of all their passengers so well that we all felt quite spoiled. The crew changed over our tanks between dives, made sure we all stayed hydrated, and even rinsed our gear in fresh water at the end of each day. Wow! What service! And all smiling. One guy, Christian, summed it up when there were strong winds one day. What worries? I work in the Carribean. Another guy, Scott, was the best boat captain ever. His boat was in fine shape, checked over each night, and ran like a dream even in rough water. The general manager, Max, made sure we all had enough supplies, even when one whole planes gear didnt arrive for several days. And Liz, the Dive Operations manager, kept everyone straight on every boat on every dive. Mics wetsuit had gotten blown off of the dock during one particularly windy night, and was found 2 weeks after we got home. Liz sent an email to tell us it was found, and is sending it to us. Thats just great customer service.

Scott gave a great dive briefing. He said, When youre down to 1000 psi, you should figure out where the boat is. Do your safety stop and ascend to the surface if youre not sure where it is, because you should find the boat on the surface. Thats where we keep it. I said, What a nice change from our last dive trip. Scott gave me a funny look and Mic explained. Scott then said, Okay, a 99% chance of the boat being on top of the water, and 1% that it will be on shore.

On Christmas day, we went out in perfect weather. There was a family that traveled from D.C. consisting of 2 parents, their 3 teenage kids, and one kids fiancé. They came with 2 instructors to do their open water dives. They were certified on Christmas, and their dive master went down wearing a santa suit along with all his gear. They have photos of each person sitting on Santas lap at the bottom of the mooring line, most wearing another santa cap. Cute, especially since the pompoms floated!

We got over to Little Cayman to dive Bloody Bay Wall an incredible wall covered with tons of corals and sponges. It was like looking at the entire book of caribbean sponges and corals in one dive! And we got to dive it twice.

One dive had rather strong current, and we surfaced at an empty mooring ball between 2 boats. Our boat was upcurrent, so Mic and another buddy hooked onto the mooring line and waited for the boat while Beth swam downstream to the next boat to let them know about the current. Good thing we had those bright orange safety sausages so that we were easily visible. Several other divers said that they would purchase them after getting home because theyre so handy.

We had 6 days of diving, 4-1/2 in near-perfect conditions, then a strong current picked up with 25 knot winds and 10 foot swells. Beth called it a day but Mic went out anyway. Visibility was shot but he had a good time anyway. Both felt they had made the right decision.

The only dive we didnt get to do because of local conditions was a Russian destroyer, the Tibbits. Of course, the boats went there on our last day when we were out of the water. Guess well have to go back for another trip.
Was this report helpful to you?
Bookmark and Share
Leave a comment (Subscribers only -- 200 words max)
Subscribers can comment here
 

Subscribe Now
Subscribers can post comments, ask the reviewer questions, as well as getting immediate and complete access to ALL 802 dive reviews of Cayman Islands and all other dive destinations. Complete access to all issues and Chapbooks is also included.

Bookmark and Share
Featured Links from Our Sponsors
Interested in becoming a sponsor?
Indigo Divers Grand Cayman
INDIGO DIVERS Grand Cayman
Owner operated for the very best in personal service. 6 DIVERS MAX. Luxury dive boat. Outstanding diving with a touch of class..
LIVING THE DREAM DIVERS We specialize in delivering safe, friendly, and professional dive trips. We guarantee stunning sites and small groups on our spacious boat.
 

Want to assemble your own collection of Cayman Islands reports in one place?
Use the Mini Chapbook Facility to create your personalized collection.

Note: The information here was reported by the author above, but has NOT been reviewed nor edited by Undercurrent prior to posting on our website. Please report any major problems by writing to us and referencing the report number above.

Undercurrent Home


Get more dive info like these and other important scuba updates sent monthly to your email.
And a FREE Recent Issue of Undercurrent

Free Undercurrent Issue
Get a free
monthly email and
a sample issue!



Find in  

| Home | Online Members Area | My Account | Login | Join |
| Travel Index | Dive Resort & Liveaboard Reviews | Featured Reports | Recent Issues | Back Issues |
| Dive Gear Index | Health/Safety Index | Environment & Misc. Index | Seasonal Planner | Blogs | Free Articles | Book Picks | News |
| Special Offers | RSS | FAQ | About Us | Contact Us | Links |


Copyright © 1996-2017 Undercurrent (www.undercurrent.org)
3020 Bridgeway, Ste 102, Sausalito, Ca 94965
All rights reserved.

Page displayed in 0.08 seconds