Author Topic: Palau Liveaboard in December...but also Truk/Chuuk and/or Yap?  (Read 4462 times)

bilchil

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
I'm almost surely doing a trip on a Palau liveaboard in December.  I have two weeks only so I have time to either do a 7-day trip plus a visit to Truk and/or Yap OR a 10-day trip in Palau only.  My first decision is this: 7-day Palau plus Truk/Yap or 10-day Palau only.  And then my second decision: if the 7-day Palau plus, do I then add only Truk or Truk and Yap?  My inclination, and what I've been planning, is a 7-day trip on the Tropic Dancer (booked, not paid yet) over xmas followed by 5 nights on Truk (probably @ Truk Stop) over New Years.  But I thought, for due diligence sake, I should ask someone who's been to all 3 destinations for any thoughts they may have.  So, anyone, do you think it better that I give Truk a miss so that I can fully avail myself of a 10-day Palau trip (that'd be the Aggressor in early December)...OR do you think Yap so brilliant I must add it to my xmas trip (that would entail cutting my Truk stay down to 3 nights, w/ only 2 nights on Yap...and making a miserable flying itinerary even more so, the Yap flights being in the middle of the night)?  It seems to me that Yap would not add a lot to the trip, whereas Truk is a very special destination.  Thanks in advance!

wonderland

• Total Dves: 500-1000
Re: Palau Liveaboard in December...but also Truk/Chuuk and/or Yap?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 14:49:38 UTC »
I have not been to Truk or Yap, but I know that when we went to Palau over Xmas/New Year's in 2011-12 (we went on the Aggressor), someone recommended that, with the way the flights worked, we try to go to Yap first, then go on to Palau.  We couldn't do that because we already had a liveaboard booked (we were on the Aggressor) and we had some work commitments that prevented us from leaving the States early enough to go to Yap first.  Also, we had cheap tix to Palau on Delta (only one stop) so we would have had to buy specific tickets to Yap or Truk which were pretty much ridiculously expensive (Continental wanted $1000 to fly between Palau and Yap).

To dive or not to dive--what a stupid question...

Diver Nettie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 16:45:38 UTC »
Hi,

I don't know anything about Yap but it is on my to-see and dive list.  I did a two week Palau/Truk trip and can tall you that Truk exceeded my expectations.  I am not a wreck diver aficionado but Truk truly was special.  I cannot imagine spending only three days there and would go back at a heartbeat.  The effort to get to Truk was not insignificant.  Get there and stay as long as you can.

Diver

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 21:11:27 UTC »
I personally would stay in Palau longer.  Yap is great, but you will likely see Mantas in Palau anyway (we saw quite a few) and the diving in Palau is definitely better IMO.  Go to Truk if you are a wreck enthusiast.  If you prefer the reefs, Palau for 10 days would be the better option.  I stayed in Palau for 8 days when I was there.  Another month or two (or 20) would have been about right.

bilchil

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 19:01:32 UTC »
Thanks everyone for your replies...Yap is pretty much a dead issue now, not enough 'special' there (besides the money...and pics are enough for me!), especially compared to the added pain of flights in the middle of the night.  Here and on other Forums I'm getting mixed opinions, but so far it seems the consensus is that I should do the 10-day Palau liveaboard and skip Truk/Chuuck. Not because Chuuck's not worth it, but because 4 days (12 dives) isn't worth the extra flying there.  It would actually be more dives total for me, I think (7-days Palau + 4 days diving on Truk (there for 6 total, flying on days 1 & 6, w/ 3 dives/day in between)...vs 10-days Palau), but I guess the flying is more arduous than it looks "on paper."

bilchil

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 00:16:21 UTC »
Final decision:  back-to-back 7-night liveaboards in early september...the Aggressor and Tropic Dancer have a deal then, $2k per trip...and I can get a lot of diving in for a pretty good price doing it that way.  I save at least $500 on flying elsewhere, and you can't beat that price for accommodation, diving, food, and drink.  So this time I'm going to try and do Palau right...and fully. And if I ever get back down there I'll try to do some Yap and definitely some Chuuk.  Most people seem to like Chuuk...but most that do also don't think I can see enough in 4 days there (4 diving, 6 total)...and I can't afford to spend that much extra and not get enough.  I should be getting about 45 dives in Palau...for probably under $8k total.  I'd probably pay $1500 more and get 10 less dives if I included Chuuk.  next time...thanks again!

gary simms

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 17:58:12 UTC »
You cannot go wrong with Tropic Dancer - best live-aboard I've ever been on. Palau was simply outstanding.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.