Author Topic: Choosing a BCD  (Read 1893 times)

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Choosing a BCD
« on: February 22, 2014, 13:00:24 UTC »
Am looking to buy a reliable BCD.
Until now, I always dove with rental gear and because now I decided with some friends to go to Surin-Thailand, I was thinking on buying one of my own.  I found one that seemed ok, judging by price and description,  on a Discontinued Mares Pegasus BCD, but am not sure if it's the right choice or not, considering that I want something for a long term use.
So, am asking you, please, can someone tell me, if it's ok ? If not, maybe you guys,  can suggest something else ?
Thank you,

Re: Choosing a BCD
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:05:32 UTC »
I strongly urge you to try on any BCD before purchasing. If at all possible, test dive the BCD before purchase. Otherwise you risk a poor fitting BCD.

Re: Choosing a BCD
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:17:58 UTC »
Trying on and making a test dive with new BC is great if the store will let you. Many will allow credit towards a different BC if the test one is not right for you. It sounds like you travel to dive, so you might want to look into a "travel" BC. Generally they are lighter and pack flatter. Regular BC's are in the 10 lbs. range, though I'd bet the Mares is more. Most travel BCs are in the 6 lbs. range and the Aqua Lung version is more like 4.5 lbs. I have not used or tested any of them but I am looking at them for myself.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.