Author Topic: Mayan Riviera  (Read 3765 times)

barefoot

• Subscriber?: yes
Mayan Riviera
« on: July 23, 2008, 21:43:06 UTC »
Will be heading to Mayan Riviera this winter.  Would like recomendations for good operators and good dive sites.  I'm a very experienced diver and underwater photographer.  I do plan on diving some of the cenotes.  Which ones would be "most dive"?
Thanks

RobertEE

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Mayan Riviera
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 18:56:27 UTC »
Hey Barefoot-
You might want to take a day trip to Coz for better diving if you are not satisfied on the mainland side once you've done the cenotes.  I plan on splitting a several week trip this winter between Coz and Puerto Aventuras and don't have huge expectations as to the quality of diving on the mainland, but hope to try for the first time ever.  I will be interested in the feedback you get.

joebuck1

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:17:42 UTC »
Barefoot,
Check out Bahia Divers, Xpu Ha beach, about 10 klicks south of Puerto Aventuras.  Small operation but great customer service and very good attitude when we were there over Christmas two years ago.  I didn't expect much on the mainland dives but was pleasantly surprised and this was just a few months after Hurricane Wilma.  Stefano, an Italian ex-pat, owns the shop and guides most of the dives to both ocean and cenote locations.  I have considerable experience and feel that you cannot go wrong with this guy, if his operation is same as it was two plus years ago. 

jacky

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 15:55:15 UTC »
Diving the Riviera Maya is ok, just ok, Cozumel much better. You can take the ferry over in Playa Del Carmen. Suggest Aldora Divers in Cozumel.
The Cenotes are great,, done all of 'em. Recommend Taja Mahal and of course Dos Ojos. Also Grand Cenote, Chac Mool. You can't go wrong with any of them. Just did a "new" one called the "Pit" (recently opened to rec divers). It's a must do, however, because it's new it takes some effort and a rough ride thru the jungle to get to. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Recommend Akumal Dive shop in Akumal (about 30 minutes south of Playa Del Carmen) for Ocean and Cenote diving.     

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.