Author Topic: Caribbean destinations for non-diver partner  (Read 3354 times)

River_Forest

• Caymans, January, 2004
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Caribbean destinations for non-diver partner
« on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:44 UTC »
Does anyone have suggestions or good experiences to report with regard to dive operations and resorts for a couple, one of whom is a non-diver? Obviously, the diver, me, wants good diving and good shore diving on a house reef is a particular plus. But the non-diver wants white sandy beaches for sunbathing and the occasional ocean dip. Also accessible town with shops, restaurants, and any kinds of other interesting attractions or diversions.
River_Forest

Gerry Lauro

Re: Caribbean destinations for non-diver partner
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 17:06:12 UTC »
The good news is that there are many spots. Provo in the Turks and Caicos has a long, sandy beach, restaurants, and things to do for the non diver. The reef is just offshore, and involves a short trip. St. Lucia offers great beaches, beautiful scenery and lots of great dive sites, to pick another island. There are others....you just need to research things to make sure it works for both of you. The key with a non diver is to provide a high quality spot to stay in, so that your return from the dive trip is looked forward to by your mate. I have been diving 25 years with a non diving partner, so I assure you it can be done.

Scuba Bob

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 17:10:58 UTC »
I have been in that situation (non-diving spouse).  I think three considerations are the time overhead for you to go diving, the Town and what she does while you are diving. 

So you want a place with dive operator on-location (so you step out of your room at appointed time and your boat arrives and departs and you are soon in water.  They are not on "island time").  I have had great luck with all-inclusives, but there are other options.

Two places with interesting Town/Cities are Curacao and Cozumel. 

Curacao has this great colorful real downtown, with great restaurants and intriguing International/European / esp Dutch influences.  I stayed outside  of town twice (maybe Lions Dive ?) and took taxis into town for good restaurants.  It was a while ago and these places change so obviously do some homework.

Cozumel is a very safe Mexican place where real people live alongside tourists .  Cozumel is touristy, but you can escape that a bit and go to local restaurants (Mexican and Seafood) , and also take an adventure  day and take a day ferry to mainland, visit the great ruins and some great beaches there, and have dinner in crazy built-up Playa del Carmen before returning back.
There are cheap places near town, some inclusive resorts south (where I stayed, but they have changed hands since then)

I found Bonaire and T&C to be boring on land.  It is possible that I missed good parts of T&C as I was really only at airport and the hotel area where my liveaboard docks, stuck for a day. Grand Cayman probably fits your description, but the ambience is totally US. 

Maui (esp Molokini) is a different location.  Usually a lot of overhead to go diving on a boat, but great dives and great stuff on land.  I usually stayed Wailiea (sp?) I took my newly certified son on a shore dive and saw turtles, a small shark, lionfish and usual aquarium tropicals.

turneffeisland

• Turneffe Island Resort
  • Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 14:40:27 UTC »
Turneffe Resort is a good place to get your diving fix while your spouse can go snorkeling, their is other activities such as kayaking, wake boarding and swimming in the pools we have. If you have any questions feel free to message me. 

crif

• SuspectSpammers
    • Ricardo Beverly Hills
  • Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 17:58:04 UTC »
Ya obviously, i m also agree, this  Resort is a good place to get your diving fix while your spouse can go snorkeling, their is other activities such as kayaking, wake boarding and swimming in the pools we have.Also accessible town with shops, restaurants, and any kinds of other interesting attractions or diversions are available. I have had great luck with all-inclusive, but there are other options are available here as well.

turneffeisland

• Turneffe Island Resort
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 19:41:06 UTC »

Ya obviously, i m also agree, this  Resort is a good place to get your diving fix while your spouse can go snorkeling, their is other activities such as kayaking, wake boarding and swimming in the pools we have.Also accessible town with shops, restaurants, and any kinds of other interesting attractions or diversions are available. I have had great luck with all-inclusive, but there are other options are available here as well.

There are other locations and I would say to check them out. I was just giving an option to anyone looking in Belize.

rkrigg

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 15:29:39 UTC »
I have the same issue.  The answer is Bonaire, condo at Port Bonaire and the on site dive operator Dive friends.
Great shore diving, quite condo (clean and beautifully maintained and equipped) fantastic restaurants  and Dive. Friends is great to work with.
You must dive the East side and spend a day in the national park
Hope this helps. We have done this twice now and are booked for 2014 already
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.