Author Topic: Roatan in 2014  (Read 2544 times)

HotTuna

Roatan in 2014
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:03:40 UTC »
I just rejoined Undercurrent, and was disappointed in the limited number of resorts reviewed.  I'll be doing my part with subsequent submissions.

I'm planning on two weeks in February and/or March of 2014 and have stayed at Cocoview and Fantasy Island before.  I may split this week up with a dive dedicated place like Reef House (Cocoview was booked) followed by a week in the West End (trading off shore diving for variety and topside activities).  Does anybody have any feedback on the following--not interested in a Honeymoon destination:

Torquoise Bay
Cocolobo
Luna Beach
or any other suggestions

River_Forest

• Caymans, January, 2004
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Roatan in 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:16:55 UTC »
I have stayed at Reef House three times. The first two times were under the previous owner, and I had great experiences there. The last time was in January, 2011, under the new ownership, and I will not go back there. HotTuna might want to read my review for more details.
   As for Roatan in general, I have been there maybe a dozen times since 1992, and over the two decades I think the deterioration of the reefs and reef life has been dramatic. I don't expect to go back there; there is better diving at equally acccessible Caribbean locations.
   As for other resorts, the only other bad experience I have had on Roatan was at the Inn of Last Resort, which deserves its name. I posted a review here in May, 2006.
River_Forest

waterboy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 19:31:42 UTC »
Where in Carib would you consider excellent?  I agree Roatan's fish life is non existent.

River_Forest

• Caymans, January, 2004
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:12 UTC »
Compared to Roatan I prefer the Dutch Antilles, i.e., Curacao or Bonaire, although on my most recent strip to Bonaire I felt like the reef life was less than it used to be. I think the Caymans are also in better shape than the Bay Islands, and in the Caymans I found Cayman Brac superior to Grand Cayman. I once had a wonderful experience in Dominica (not the Dominican Republic) and found the fish and macro life there excellent, but that was a couple of decades ago. I'm going to Turks and Caicos this Spring and will report back.
River_Forest

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.