Author Topic: Swivels for Regs  (Read 6231 times)

ScubaAlan

• Subscriber?: yes
Swivels for Regs
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:26 UTC »
I had a friend who recently was diving Kona. A guy on the boat had a problem with his swivel before the dive. The dive master took it off the reg and told the guy that they were very dangerous and 2 divers recently died from accidents with them. I have had one on my reg for at least 10 years and I never had a problem. Does anyone else have any info on this or was the dive master just upset because it caused a problem and maybe the guy did not have it serviced???

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Swivels for Regs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:19:34 UTC »
Hi ScubaAlan,

Most divers who use them do not have problems with properly installed, high-quality, well maintained swivels.

This notwithstanding, there is no argument but that swivels are an additional potential failure point in your regulator set up.  The extra comfort brings added risk, albeit typically very small.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

ezra

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:08:24 UTC »
I considered, tried, and then dropped a swivel from my reg setup a few years back. Of the swivels, I really liked the Atomic model, available in a universal host product for about $99.

I also tried, and dropped, a Scubapro angle connector that helped a bit in correcting the induced push of the reg hose but was still too restricting.

I've always suspected that my problem might be solvable with a correct length of hose - the standard length can bow outwards and push the reg to the left.

I have now ordered, and am optimistic, about the new Miflex braided hoses that are appearing on some new regulators, such as the Aqualung Mikron. They are more flexible under pressure than rubber hoses and I'm going to play with a few different lengths and see how it goes. 

highdesert

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 13:04:17 UTC »
ScubaAlan -

The DM might have been talking about one particular brand of swivel that was recalled a few years ago.  Pictures of it have been circulating online since, with warnings not to use it.

You might check out the Zeagle swivel, good quality for about $30, and a Miflex 40" hose routed under your arm.  The Miflex hoses are very soft and pliable, so they don't push/pull your second stage around so much.  Reasonable cost and well accepted parts.   
Born to Travel ...

NJDIVER

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:23 UTC »
I've been diving with the Oceanic Delta 4 and have no issues with my swivel...even bought a second for my sling.

donrowe

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 21:33:21 UTC »
Have used swivels for ten years with no problems.  Carry a spare in my save a dive kit for insurance.

DiverRob

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 14:50:36 UTC »
I love my swivel.  I don't carry a spare because if I did have a problem with it, it is easy to remove and then replace later.

DowningB

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 17:06:07 UTC »
Another vote for swivels.  Mine came with my Atomic reg.  It's just a bit of added comfort.  So far there haven't been any maintenance issues. 

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.