Author Topic: PNG  (Read 8591 times)

husker

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
PNG
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:45:02 UTC »
Anyone have experience on Spirit of Niugini ?
Dale

Wayan123

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: PNG
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 13:41:14 UTC »
IMHO it is very small for comfortable live-aboard trips (smaller and not as much space as the Febrina or Golden Dawn).  I like to have some space.....

cguthrie

• Marina Business, AOWI 20 plus yr diver,PHOTO HABIT
    • Charles Guthrie Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 20:33:34 UTC »
ANY MORE INPUT ON THE BOAT.
BEST LOCATIONS ETC.
BEST ROOMS.
WHEN WERE YOU THERE? DID THEY RE-DO THE BOAT ?
CHUCK
CHARLES  CHUCK" GUTHRIE

husker

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 21:02:03 UTC »
Don't understand Wayan post as the web site for Spirit of Niugini shows it is larger than both Febrina & Golden Dawn??
Dale

cguthrie

• Marina Business, AOWI 20 plus yr diver,PHOTO HABIT
    • Charles Guthrie Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 21:40:15 UTC »
I am going sept 2009 10/4
My group leader has been before,,, trying to get more input
 ???
CHARLES  CHUCK" GUTHRIE

husker

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 23:32:30 UTC »
Thanks - we are early stage of 2010 trip & would appreciate any info before or even after you take the trip.
Dale

mjarens

• Total Dves: 101-500
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 16:48:52 UTC »
I just signed up for a trip on the Spirit of Niugini for Sept 18-27, 2008.  The group trip is through a local dive travel agent, and includes a free underwater photo workshop.  The travel agent/owner will be traveling with the group, and told me the ship is just completeing a drydock overhaul, and will have new furishings, etc also.  The Spirit of Niugini formerly operated as the Aqua One out of Thailand.  There is a pre-dive trip, four day land trip into the PNG highlands, including a visit to the Asaro Mudmen.

I will write a review after I return in October, and give you my impressions.

husker

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 19:46:01 UTC »
Thanks for the info.. will look forward to your review
Dale
Dale

Wayan123

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 23:50:23 UTC »
Don't understand Wayan post as the web site for Spirit of Niugini shows it is larger than both Febrina & Golden Dawn??

I am saying that if the boat is full then amount of open deck space onboard is not as much as can be enjoyed on either the Febrina or Golden Dawn.   

husker

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 00:44:09 UTC »
Have you done trips on all three? Was the crew , food, dive operation good?
Dale

Wayan123

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:47:38 UTC »
I was based in PNG for 12 years (Kimbe for 4 of these).

I Ran the Stardancer for 2 years and was on Febrina for 6 months helping out.

I have been on the Spirit (for a look see when it was in Kimbe) and I found that I do not have the space and felt squished.

husker

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 18:42:58 UTC »
Just the person I need for advise.  Wife & I are experienced, been to Palau, Thailand, Komodo & Lembeh Strait.  Next stop is PNG. Thinking of a 30 day trip doing both the North & South. Any thoughts on liveaboards & best time of year for that type of trip?
Dale

Wayan123

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:20:24 UTC »
April May have traditionally been good for Kimbe/Fathers also Late Sept Oct and Nov.

The windy months July August not so good for this area, Alan Raabe has been operating boats here for many a year and has his schedule down pretty good now.  So long as his Captains follow his advice the trips on both Febrina and SD are good.  Jan and Feb he takes the boats to the south coast of West New Britian where the diving is very different from the North Coast.  The South Coast is not for everyone but for those that like Jurasic Scenery and hunting for weird and wonderful stuff it is well worth the trip.  On one of the rips I ran to tnhis region we found a rare juvenile African Pompano Trevally along with aw fish, cuttlefish, arrow crabs, orangutan crabs, leaf scorpion fish, rock mover wrasse, pipefish, anemone fish, holothurians, banded shrimp, lionfish, scorpion fish, crocodile fish, ghost pipe fish mating octopus etc.

Each year they are finding something different.  My Favorite trip would have to be a fathers/witus combination which includes a number of dives at the legendary Krak-A-Fat reef which has shark action, a huge school/s of trevally and barracuda as well as other fish life combined with a stop at Dickies place it was one of the best trip programs/schedules I have ever done as it had something of everything (even most of the time a sort snorkel with the dolphins at Fathers reef).

Craig the guy the runs the Golden Dawn also picks his schedules as good a possible for the areas he operates in have a look for space on a schedule that goes to Portlock reef as well as Eastern fields.

If you are into a little of day boat diving do not overlook Port Moresby as there is some fantastic diving to be had here as well and well worth spending a 2-3 days here.  Either Dive with  Loloata or the dive centre (the later based in POM and operates out of the Airways hotel), in Particular Susies Bommie, Pacific Gas (a wreck at max 34 metres), End Bommie, the pinnacles, Pai II, Baldwins Bommie are excelet to name just a few.

To do both south and north October, November should suit so you could do (if space avail) both the Stardancer and Golden Dawn.

IMHO PNG has absolutely fantastic diving

husker

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:48 UTC »
Great info.. thanks again...
Dale

drdivingdon

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 18:20:44 UTC »
 :'(I was on the Sprirt of Niugiui on it's last trip before it's recent refit. I just read the recent Undercurrent with a piece titled " The Finest Dive Boat in Papua New Guinea? Not Yet" and from my experience I would wait until some others have gone on the boat. For our trip in April the boat was infested with roaches, the toilet in our cabin didn't work more of fen then it did and our AC was useless. The boat had three AC units but only one worked poorly. The diving was good but we didn't cover that many different areas. It was my first time in PNG and I was expecting something much better. The crew did the best they could but for what we paid we were short changed. The group of people I was with made the trip worth while.

husker

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 19:00:34 UTC »
Thanks for the info... have looked for other diver reports on the internet etc & about all there is is the travel agency hype. My positive attitude went away with the current issue of undercurrent info.  Also their web site e-mail doesn't work which brought questions.  Been on 9 liveaboards and I value other diver's opinions.  Thanks again. Dale
Dale

drdivingdon

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 02:58:20 UTC »
 :'(Our complete group was supposed to write similar reports

oasisofmaragal

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 07:33:41 UTC »
I am sure the Spirit 0f Nuigini will again be the gracious lady she once was, after this retrofit of course.  If the food on board is going to be anything like as good as at the Tawali resort the trip will be worth it.  They are working hard to constantly improve far beyond what is ordinary, both in professional certs - DMs or higher - for their guides, and your 'wish is there command' sort of things.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.