Author Topic: Marshall Islands - or Lack Thereof  (Read 1514 times)

Bubega

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Marshall Islands - or Lack Thereof
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:32:25 UTC »
Hello,

I wonder if there is a catch 22 going on with really remote places such as Kiritimati (Christmas Island) and the Marshall Islands.  There is so little information on-line and the email addresses I do often appear to not be monitored or invalid.  Case in point, I emailed the Robert Reimer Hotel on Majuro over 4 days ago and have not heard back. I emailed another dive operator and have not received a response either.

So these remote islands do not appear to run a tight business because of lack of volume and the volume does not increase because it is so difficult just to confirm logistics.  So before abandoning our plans, does anyone know of a good contact (as in recent, monitoring their email, dependable...) on Majuro that I can inquire regarding accommodation and diving?

We are not into deep wreck diving (yes I can get information on Bikini Atoll) and are very interested in places like Mili and Arno Atoll.  Many thanks in advance.

conchasdiver

• conchasdiver@dreamstime.com
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Marshall Islands - or Lack Thereof
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 22:49:41 UTC »
Was recently in your boat. R. Reimers Hotel showed no interest in my group's repeated requests for info / reservations / etc. I suppose they don't need the business. Finally connected w/ the Marshall Islands  Resort & Raycrew Diving. They are at least responsive & the dive shop is onsite. My group leaves next weekend for two weeks on Majuro / Arno & whatever else we can work in. I'll be glad to report back mid-May if you want to know specifics plus I'll write a report for UC but it'll take me awhile to get around to that. Looking forward to it!

Bubega

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 00:33:30 UTC »
Yes. Please respond.  RRE did respond to my request eventually but they need a minimum of three divers to go out so my wife and I decided to pass on the Marshalls this year.  MIR responded once (warm reply) but when I wrote back, I heard nothing back from them either.

We are going to return to French Polynesia (bloody expensive) but at least we know there is organized diving there.  I am very intrigued with the Marshalls (especially Arno and Mili) but have no confidence regarding a reliable dive operator.  I am really looking forward to your report (I'm a member of UC as well). 

conchasdiver

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 22:41:50 UTC »
Bubega............... I will definitely report back to you on our experiences. My group is four divers w/ lots of experience & we're always looking for some place we haven't been, so that's how we got to the Marshalls. Enjoy your trip!

conchasdiver

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 18:15:23 UTC »
Bubega.........just back from the Marshall Islands (Majuro) after two weeks diving. Stayed at Marshall Islands Resort which is run-down but OK (**). Dove w/ Raycrew w/ the only DM on the island - a friendly Japanese named Sato. Boats had no seats & no camera areas but were covered. Diving was a disappointment due to no soft coral & no WWII wrecks. Oh & the dive op only deals in cash so better take plenty.

Now that we've been there, there's no reason for us to go back.

conchasdiver

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 16:20:46 UTC »
Bubega........ The diving on Arno was essentially the same diving as Majuro. It was an adventure due to two meter swells in our faces & very low boat rails. That plus the additional cost of the trip made it unnecessary but one doesn't know until one tries. We did not make the trip to Mili & in fact it was never offered as an alternative.

Due to Trip Advisor my first choice was also Reimers Hotel but as I said before, they never responded to my requests for info. That's how we ended up at MIR & after a close survey of Reimers I'm glad we did. R. Reimers Hotel itself is quite rundown w/ the exception of the cabanas which face the beach. The problem is there are few cabanas & they were all occupied when we checked the place out. There is a decent restaurant / bar onsite @ Reimers. Maybe if you start early you can reserve a cabana but if I were going back I'd stick w/ Marshall Islands Resort........... personal opinion. Good luck & good diving!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include 20% Off at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas .