Author Topic: Is it Sea Jellies or Jellyfish?  (Read 1978 times)

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Is it Sea Jellies or Jellyfish?
« on: March 21, 2013, 13:31:52 UTC »
I am constantly surprised to see how many educated divers continue to refer sea jellies as jellyfish. They are not fish. They do not have gills or scales. They are chordates while jellies are ctenopores and cnidarians. Many people are comfortable with using the name sea stars instead of starfish. Don't know why they can't get comfortbale with the name sea jellies? To my surprise Ben Davison constantly uses the word jellyfish in the book "There's a Cockroach in my Regulator."

• SuspectSpammers
    • Ricardo Beverly Hills
  • Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Is it Sea Jellies or Jellyfish?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 10:40:00 UTC »
That was a point to ponder actually,however we call them jelly fish just because we've heard of jelly fish. There are several kinds of fish,we tend to call strange animals in water as fish with a prefix what they look like. for example star fish.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.