Author Topic: reverse squeeze ? frontal sinus  (Read 1158 times)

itchyfeet

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
reverse squeeze ? frontal sinus
« on: January 27, 2013, 00:13:51 UTC »
Last year while ascending I developed an very very nasty pain smack dab between and above my eyes. After what seemed a long time the pain lessened and I got to the surface. However pain in this area persisted well over a day only begrudgingly departing. Guessing I suffered reverse squeeze of my frontal ( ? ethmoidal ) sinus. Was there any maneuver or positioning I might have tried at the time ?  Could this be any way related to my prophylactic use of oxymetazoline nasal spray ( I do not overuse ). So far has only happened once -knock on wood- so I do not believe it is a chronic sinus issue.
 I know of other divers who have had similar episodes. Any insight for prevention or treatment ? I have not found much good info on the web.  thanx

DocV

• Global Moderator
  • Subscriber?: yes
Re: reverse squeeze ? frontal sinus
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:46 UTC »
Hi itchyfeet,

It sounds like an incident of reverse squeeze of the ethmoid sinus.

It could have been related the use of an oxymetazoline nasal spray (e.g., Afrin) if the med began to lose effectiveness during the dive.

Make sure that you are timing doses appropriately and not overusing the spray.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include Dive or Adventure Lovers: Antarctica in March and Fall Special at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas .