Author Topic: Montserrat  (Read 3822 times)

kcandave

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Montserrat
« on: July 21, 2008, 20:39:19 UTC »
We are looking into Montserrat and I ask if any one has been diving there post volcano?
Getting to, dive opeators, accomodations etc. thanks

Airhead52

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Montserrat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 21:29:02 UTC »
Kcandave.......Although I have not been to Montserrat post eruption, I would be surprised if you find many people outside the academic and scientific community that HAVE been there!   In a visit to St. Kitts in 2006, we discovered that a good number of locals there had re-located from Montserrat at the eruption, and I think the access/ visitation even for them was somewhat restricted.   
   If you have seen arial photos, you know how much ash and debris has polluted the water since the event, anyway, but, good diving reguardless!  AIRHEAD 52
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

tkola

Re: Montserrat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 14:39:28 UTC »
Hi, We were there in March. I could only do one day's diving due to a weather system that sent giant waves crashing along the entire coastline. I dove with the only dive operator there, Green Monkey. Have you talked to them? They can set up your accomodations also. Have you picked a place to stay yet? That place is fascinating! The volcano was calm when we were there but the volcano website www.mvo.com said that there was an eruption/ash spew in May, sending a cloud 40,000 ft high and ash over the island. When are you going? There are many US & Canadians who spend the winter there and we've never met a freindlier bunch of people. We got invited to a lady's house for dance lessons, to a full moon party, and to a group hike to the edge of the exclusion zone that overlooks Plymouth. The best dive is considered to be an hour's boat ride 15 miles away to an uninhabited island named Redonda. The fish life was your typical Caribbean and pretty good viz. We stayed at a really nice house called Bunkum Beach Guest House. It's not on a beach (no accomodations are on a beach) but on the cliff looking over, about 75 feet up. Beautiful views, a really nice house, and Sundy Smith takes great care of you while you're there. Green Monkey Dive pretty much does anything & everything....boat rental, fishing, boat tours (don't miss the Plymouth boat tour), etc. The dive boat is kinda beat but functional. You get there by flying to Antigua then taking WinAir to Montserrat. What else do you want to know?

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.