Author Topic: semi dry wetsuits  (Read 3516 times)

itchyfeet

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
semi dry wetsuits
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:10:18 UTC »
Looking into so called semi-dry suits in which you get wet. Seem to be two basic types.
One more of a dry suit with dry suit type zipper-Scubapro Nova Scotia.
The other more wet suit like -Aqua Lung 7-8 mm SolAfx  AquaFlex hooded jumpsuit

I can not get a good handle on which to get and appreciate any insights you may have. I get cold in 1/2 hour with 5mm standard hooded vest and  7mm wetsuit. And while
I can return suits I can not try them out prior to buying.
Thanx

wonderland

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: semi dry wetsuits
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 13:34:04 UTC »
I have a Mares 7 mil semi-dry (which I think has been discontinued).  It has a drysuit-like zipper across the back of my shoulders and double seals on the arms and legs.  I've been diving with it for about 3 years and have worn it in water temps ranging from the low 50's to low 70's.  When it was newer, it was much more "semi-dry"--it would take about 30 minutes before I felt water run down my back.  Now, not so much.  I still like it because I think it is warmer than a standard 7 mil wetsuit (it has a built in core warmer), but when it dies, I'm not sure I will buy another one.  I would say that if you don't want to invest in a dry suit, it is probably a good option, but how "dry" it is, will depend on how the seals hold up.

just my two cents.
To dive or not to dive--what a stupid question...

hscohen

Re: semi dry wetsuits
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 16:16:31 UTC »
I get cold easily. For several years I used a SolAfx (which does have a drysuit zipper) under a custom-fit 7mm non-stretch shorty. It was OK down to around 45 deg F for one or two dives a day. Recently switched to a 7mm Henderson Aqua-Loc outfit including 7mm boots, 5mm gloves, and 7/5 hooded vest. It's extremely comfortable and relatively easy to don and doff (although SuitJuice lubricant is a big help).
Looking into so called semi-dry suits in which you get wet. Seem to be two basic types.
One more of a dry suit with dry suit type zipper-Scubapro Nova Scotia.
The other more wet suit like -Aqua Lung 7-8 mm SolAfx  AquaFlex hooded jumpsuit

I can not get a good handle on which to get and appreciate any insights you may have. I get cold in 1/2 hour with 5mm standard hooded vest and  7mm wetsuit. And while
I can return suits I can not try them out prior to buying.
Thanx

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.