Author Topic: Prescription Masks  (Read 17680 times)

DowningB

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Prescription Masks
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 21:19:56 UTC »
Good point.  That's why I have two masks, one of which has an older prescription lens and acts as my backup in case something goes wrong with my primary mask.  The secondary mask wouldn't be ideal but it should be good enough to get by and certainly better than a non-prescription mask would ever be. 

The ol' two is one and one is none redundancy rule.

killam

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 21:42:38 UTC »
I guess I'm lucky. I have a silicon mask with removable lens measured in 1/4 diopters. It cost about $100 and it works great for me. I'm -550 in both eyes.
What is the manufacturer and model of the mask you speak of?

blacktip

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 00:36:21 UTC »
My primary mask which I've had for years and changed lenses about five years ago is an Oceanic, the 2nd is brand xand cost about $125 for mask and lenses. Hope this helps.

speir

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 01:22:02 UTC »
(Maybe it is too late to post to this question)

My wife is blind as a bat, but is a good diver with about 200 open water dives.  She just wears her contacts with a regular mask.  Hasn't lost a contact yet.

blacktip

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 01:30:25 UTC »
Never to late for good info. I just would worry about something removing her mask and washing away her lenses. Probably not something that will happen but it could and maybe that wouldn't be safe. Maybe it's just my takin care of business attitude. Good diving. May your viz always be clear.

speir

Re: Prescription Masks vs Contact Lenses
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 11:57:53 UTC »
Blacktip pointed out that something could knock my wife's mask off and wash out her contact lenses.  That was exactly my point to my wife when she first started wearing her lenses.

Her rebuttal was as follows (without the epithets):

1.  I use disposable contact lenses, so no great loss if I lose a lens.
2.  If I lose my mask, I can't see anyway, so I will just go up.
3.  If I can get my mask back on, but lose the lens, I will just complete the dive with blurry vision--which I am doing already since you are too cheap to buy me a prescription mask.
4.  You are an idiot--leave me alone.

Well, I had to agree with her logic in 1-3, and #4 was not debatable.  Further, she knows more than I do on most subjects even if, as is the case here, I have 4 or 5 times the experience. And a final point is that, since she is my primary dive buddy on sport dives, someone has to read my gauges because I can't see them anymore.

P.S. For what it's worth Rx-safety will build and deliver a prescription mask for $150-$160.  Caveat: you have to buy their mask, so it's not clear how you make sure it fits your face.  I buy safety glasses from them (but never have bought a mask) and their delivery time is about 4 weeks, give or take.  See their site at http://www.rx-safety.com/Scuba-Masks/index.htm.

ldg7

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 20:26:29 UTC »
I like a man who knows his place.

blacktip

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 21:17:41 UTC »
There is nothing like a woman scorned. I bought a no brand name silicon mask with pop in rx lenses retail at the dive shop for $125. It fits nice and I see well( -450 both eyes).

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.