Author Topic: Prescription Masks  (Read 17682 times)

killam

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Prescription Masks
« on: July 21, 2008, 17:07:35 UTC »
I unfortunately have to admit to my failing eyesight. I would like to read from others who have made purchases lately. Thanks.

zumbado

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Prescription Masks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 18:05:07 UTC »
There is nothing greater than a prescription mask to show you what you have been missing.  ::). My mask even has bifocal lenses.

Full service dive shops can usually get your mask if you give them your prescription. But the mask must be able to fit your prescription. Sometimes the guy that makes the lenses also supplies the mask to insure that the prescription can be installed, but make sure that the mask fits you before you commit to the purchase.

However, I have had a problem trying to update my mast to my latest prescription because the optometrist that made my last prescription mask does not make them anymore, and I had tried two suppliers and they have not been able to do my prescription that requires prism corrections, even though  my optometrist was able to do it.

I would appreciate any information about my problem, if someone who knows about making prescription masks with prism adjustments. 

Keep on diving,

Juan

tmccabe

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 20:56:52 UTC »
I have used Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego. They are rated as one of the best in the industry - used by commercial as well as recreation divers. URL is http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/. You buy the mask you like and send it to them along with your current prescription. Turnaround takes about 2-3 weeks. I have bifocals and they did a super job. After trying 2 other vendors, these have been the best by far. However, I'd suggest calling them to be sure your prescription specifications can be done. They'll probably want you to fax the prescription to them. Good luck!

zumbado

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 17:13:29 UTC »
TMcCabe:

Thanks for reminding me about Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego.

I called then to ask them about my problem about prism correction in my mask and Linda Young told me that she could do it.

All I have to do is send my mask.

Problem solved.  :)
Keep on diving,

Juan

blacktip

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 00:49:37 UTC »
If you don't have a severe astigmatism you can try the pop in lenses which are cut by 1/4 diopsters. I just bought one for about $125. A nice silicon mask with two -5.50 lenses at my local diveshop.

ezra

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:03:13 UTC »
Hi - I'm a repeat customer of Seavision (www.seavisionusa.com). I've used their non-correcting off-the-shelf masks for years until my failing eyesight demanded a prescription mask.  I consider them the Oakleys of masks - quality lens materials in a quality silicone carrier.

The Ultra mask is what I use for my sort of oval face, and my wife with her lovely slightly wider cheekbones prefers the 2000.

They can make singe vision or bifocal prescriptions, and they also have tints (magenta for sunny reefs and yellow for no good reason that I've ever discovered :-) My wife uses the Gauge-reader - clear but with a built-in +2 bifocal-like area for her computer and SPG  reading.

I just ordered my latest single vision over the phone, paid an extra $35 for rush processing and shipping and expect it here by the end of the week for our trip to Bonaire.

Good products and great customer service. No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.

alb4man

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:57:40 UTC »
My eyesight is also not what it was when I first started diving. My inability to read my dive gauges finally made me consider a prescription mask. I tried inserting readers and was dissatisfied. My mask of choice was Atomic and they do prescriptions. I have been totally satisfied with the prescription mask that was delivered about 2 weeks after I ordered it through my local dive shop.

dambrose

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:18:30 UTC »
I'll second (third?) the recommendation for Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego. I needed bifocals, and they made an awesome set of lenses for my mask. Sadly, I lost that mask, but I'll be back there soon for replacement lenses.

Regards,
Dave Ambrose

oasisofmaragal

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:19 UTC »
I have had some trouble with crazing and peeling of the coating, UV and color, with two of the SeaVision masks despite the almost fanatical care I take of my prescription masks. The manufacturer stated they were unable to fix the problem. They did however replace the frame and skirt of one of the masks (returned new mask with old unusable lenses in) because they said that the mask had softened and was dangerous. One mask was returned for repair because of leaking between frame and lense and was handled promptly.

tmccabe

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 13:31:06 UTC »
Just an update to my post on using Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego - I tried the SeaVision custom mask first and they got my prescription wrong. I've also tried DYI lens inserts, but my bifocal needs preclude them from really being effective. I found the San Diego folks to be superior in both the lenses they fitted to my choice of mask and the phone support for questions, etc. I have no affiliation with them - I'm just a recreational diver who is very pleased with their workmanship and service.  :D

oasisofmaragal

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 19:00:40 UTC »
Thanks! I'm overdue for a new mask because of the forementioned problem. I've been putting off getting a new one because it was just going to be too painful!

DowningB

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 23:22:36 UTC »
I too use a bifocal prescription lense mask.  I just brought along a copy of my prescription and gave it to the LDS when I bought my Aqualung mask.  They shipped it off to somewhere in California--I'm betting it was Prescription Dive Masks--and I got the mask back a couple of weeks later.

Just be sure to remember to have your mask lense changed every time you get a new prescription, which for me, sadly, is every two years.

Using a prescription mask makes for a spendy piece of equipment compared to a conventional mask but it's well worth every penny to me.  I keep it in a Pelican dry box, with foam padding, for the ultimate in travel protection.  I figure if something goes wrong I can rent pretty much any other piece of gear, but I can't dive without my prescription mask. 

willkiml

• tortugavideo.com
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 14:56:12 UTC »
I have a Sea Vision mask for a year with bifocal prescription in it. It has worked well, but the mail-order service was the worst I have encountered anywhere- surly, unreliable, and unhelpful. I will try the San Diego company for my next mask.

makar

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:54:38 UTC »
I have -7d in one eye and -8d in the other.  I dive with contacts since 1988. I own a prescription mask too, but did not use it even once.

blacktip

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 01:51:54 UTC »
I guess I'm lucky. I have a silicon mask with removable lens measured in 1/4 diopters. It cost about $100 and it works great for me. I'm -550 in both eyes.

mickey

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 13:55:28 UTC »
If you need simple correction for myopia (nearsightedness) I've been very pleased with Ocean Master (now X-S Scuba) with drop in blanks-reasonable and durable. I love the nasal purge valve and would never go back to a mask that requires clearing. I don't understand why this feature has not caught on.
Also the Q-strap is by far the most comfortable and easily adjustable (even with gloves on). Dr. Mickey

oasisofmaragal

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:38:38 UTC »
Just got my new mask back from San Diego. They got my prescription just right. Hint...buy a top quality mask to send them, or chose on of theirs, if you get a cheap one the skirt will deform and cause your perfect prescription to seem a little off!

blacktip

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 01:50:37 UTC »
Just a thought for you prescription wearers. Think about a second if you go on a live aboard or someplace remote.

DowningB

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:05:59 UTC »
Just a thought for you prescription wearers. Think about a second if you go on a live aboard or someplace remote.

Done.  Now what?   ???

blacktip

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 13:58:54 UTC »
Funny?I mean a second mask. If you break yours or lose it you're sunk.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.