Author Topic: Gentle Interesting Begginner's Shore Dive on Maui  (Read 4277 times)

DonWinch

• Subscriber?: yes
Gentle Interesting Begginner's Shore Dive on Maui
« on: July 21, 2008, 16:04:59 UTC »
Taking a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands at the end of September. We have new equipment we have only used in the local quarry. We have not done a great deal of oceanic diving and my buddy has had some minor problems with past salt water dives with weighting, equipment, etc. We want to take some time to review, familiarize, adjust and rebuild confidence before we jump on charters we have scheduled later in the week. I don't want to feel pressured with taking up other diver's touring time while we accomplish our own ends.

I'm looking for suggestions on what should be most likely a quiet, sheltered area from which to do a leasurely, interesting shore dive off Maui where we won't be fighting wave action to get in and/or adjust our weighting, or struggling with big currents.

madoden1

Re: Gentle Interesting Begginner's Shore Dive on Maui
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 16:53:32 UTC »
I just did a couple of shore dives with my 15 year old son who has about 15 dives.  We dove Kapalua Bay north of Kahana.  It is a nice beach with a pretty easy dive - shallow profile.  There is a bathroom at the top and a shower and a shower and a hose at the bottom making clean up easy.  The trick is finding the small, hidden parking area (I suggest "Maui Revealed" as a good guide to hard to find parking spots).  This dive does have a paved hill to walk down - maybe think about renting 63's if that is an issue.

Another dive is Black Rock just at the Sheraton Ka'anapali.  I think the current is usually southerly - we dove from the north end (drop your gear at the far north end of Sheraton where there are two paths (one for golf carts) and you end up in front of the hotel.  Just at the south end of the hotel, there is an access path that leads back to the road and right where one of the free garages is.  I've had to park at Whaler's Cove shopping center a bit further down, where there are more spaces.  Pacific Dive in Lahaina is a good source for shore dive info - there might be some other places with easier access...

tchomik

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 17:59:57 UTC »
There are a number of good shores dives in Maui that would suit your needs. I suggest once you get to Maui, go to your nearest Maui Dive Shop ( they are located throughout the island) and get their free 40-page Maui Dive Guide that explains and illustates all of the shore dives on Maui. The staff at any location can suggest suitable beach dives to meet your needs. As a previous diver mentioned, Kapalua Bay is very easy and enjoyable. However, I would check on the visibility in that area first as there is a new resort being built on the North end of the bay construction has had a negative affect on visibility in the past. I dove there in March 08 and the vis was very poor. Maybe the construction affecting the visability is now complete?? Another easy dive in the West Maui area (down the beach from the Sheraton Hotel) is at Kahekili Beach Park, also called Airport or Old Airport Beach (right next to the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas). This site has good parking, bathrooms, beachside shower, picnic tables, and a wonderful beach. On any day you will see other divers and dive shops with paying customers here. Black Rock at the Sheraton is okay, but parking and accessibility can be a problem. If there are no free parking spots available, the Sheraton does have pay parking. If you want to do a first rate night dive from the beach, Black Rock won't disappoint you.

djackson

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 21:57:12 UTC »
My best recommendation is to get an early start. In my experience, based on my one trip to Maui in October, 2003, conditions were at their best between 7 and 8 a.m. The water was almost like glass at that hour. The wind and waves picked up throughout the day and reached a peak in the afternoon.

Makena Landing, near Wailea, has some nice shore dives. If you arrive early there is plenty of free parking. Access is easy via a sandy beach. There is an interesting reef fairly close to shore at depths of 15 to 25 feet. No currents, good visibility, and frequent turtle encounters.

For a list of Maui dive sites see http://www.mauidiveshop.com/divetrips/locations.htm.

DonWinch

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 21:21:03 UTC »
Thanks for all the suggestions. We are weighing the options, but we'll probably wait until we arrive and see what floats. Can't wait to try one out! Thanks again and happy diving!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.