Author Topic: Bali with Non-Diving Spouse?  (Read 5300 times)

dbono

• Subscriber?: yes
Bali with Non-Diving Spouse?
« on: July 21, 2008, 15:39:24 UTC »
We are off to Bali in Septemeber, but wife is now pregnant and won't be diving.  So I am looking for ways to keep me happy (diving) while also keeping her happy (yoga, cooking classes, hikes, etc.).  Can folks supply recommendations on places to go on Bali with a non-diving spouse? 

TEDPEC1

Re: Bali with Non-Diving Spouse?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 17:05:53 UTC »
Your wife won't have a problem finding things to do while you dive. Depending on how far along she is and how much energy she has there are numerous things she can go do. Who ever booked your trip should be able to help you book any sight seeing she would like to do but here are a few things I did while there last October.

The Barong and Kris Dance/ Kintamani Volcano & Lake Tour/ Numerous tours like jewelery shops made on premises/ The Monkey Forest/ Temple Tour/

There are so many shops that she could virtually spend weeks shooping all of them. Our travel operator used Floressa Tours and they did a great job. Their phone number is 62- 361 467625. If your wife just wants to drive around for shopping we found someone to use and was fairly inexpensive and will operate on her time schedule. He goes by Eddy and his e mail is
eddybehappynet@hotmail.com His phone number is 0361 281845. He was very helpful and drove us around in a very nice car and helped us with great suggestions on lunch suggestions.  All in all a really nice guy. Hope this helps you and have a great trip!

dbono

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 20:47:27 UTC »
Thanks for the reply, TEDPEC1.  Any suggestions on towns in which to stay?  No one booked the trip for us -- independent travelers that we are, all we have are the airline tickets.  We were looking at staying at more remote towns for diving only, but now we need to think about towns with diving for me and other things for her.

marob

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 21:12:33 UTC »
You don't say how long you are on Bali for. It may well be worth splitting your time between the North to dive at Tulamben ( for the "liberty" wreck, Balis's must do dive site) and the North West with perhaps Ubud for a bit of a respite from the heat and good shopping, restaurants etc and reasonable access to sites further south such as Nusa Penida ideal for looking for Mola Mola at that time.
We have used blue season bali our last couple of pre liveaboard trips through Bali and found their service to be good -
 www.baliocean.com/en/

TEDPEC1

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 22:46:48 UTC »
We stayed in Sanur, I don't know how convient that would be for diving as we did land excursions only. We did go thru Ubud as that is where the Monkey Forest is and I would agree that looked to be a really trendy area and wouldn't mind to stay there myself but don't know about the convience of the diving.

Wayan123

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 01:17:44 UTC »
You don't say how long you will be in Bali or where you will be diving.
There is a multitude of activities for your wife to keep here well and truly occupied.  Some of the better 3* and up hotels offer lots of the activities you mentioned.  for example Rama Candi Dasa.  Plus lots of shopping for good jewelery as well in Celuk, Sukawati you can even organise to watch them make the jewelery as well.
You will need to consider where you will base yourself for example if you base yourselves in UBUD and want to dive north Bali then be careful which route they take you to/from the diving.  If they the more direct/quicker routes you will most certainly go to altitude (2000 feet plus).
IMHO Candi Dasa would be a good base and reduce travel times unless you dive the north western dive sites.
Use the bigger operators for better satisfaction and assistance.
Hire a Driver (lots of very good English speaking ones around. If you need help PM me) 8 hours will cost around Rp500,000 plus meals.

ScubaSound

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:21:49 UTC »
Just got back from diving Raja Ampat, but then took ten days in Bali. Your wife will have no trouble filling up her days. In the south are many resorts adjacent to great shopping and food. Central Bali features many Buddhist temples, massage spas, local shopping, and much physical beauty. The north features environmentally sensitive beaches and forests :)

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.