Author Topic: Planning our first trip to the east end of Grand Cayman - Ocean Frontiers  (Read 2031 times)

JRROY

• J. R. Roy Martial Arts Studio
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Four of us are signed up for two weeks of diving next month (March 2012) with Ocean Frontiers, staying at Compass Point. It's our first time to Grand Cayman. Ocean Frontiers was recommended to us by Mark from Sport Diver Mag during a dive in the BVI's a few years back. We are all avid U/W photographers. Anyone recently been? Any tips? What I've read so far has us expecting a wonderful trip....can't wait!!

Twodivers in NJ

Couple of things-

1) Buy food & things in Georgetown before heading to the East End.
2) Restaurants are far apart there so be prepared for a longish ride.
3) Rum Point is nice after the last tourist ferries and cats depart around 4:00, but it's a looooong way back to OF; designate a driver.
4) Try the Botanical Park for a quick walk in the afternoon.
5) OF enforces a 110 foot limit - they grabbed my computer out of my hand to check my max depth and told me 130 feet was "very deep". And I'm certified for Advanced EANx and Deep Air.
6) I'd still go back; it's quiet and the diving is good.

cc

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
It's been a few years and we didn't stay at Compass Point but did several dives with OF.  Compass Point looked ok but my beach bum spouse & I preferred to stay just down the road at Reef Resort where they had live music, a decent restaurant, great beach & beach bar and a grocery store was just across the street. OF ran a fairly good op both in the shop and on the boat at that time. Weren't too strict in the water as I remember. As a matter a fact they had no problem with me and another guy diving solo. One time after coming out last, the dm was a bit perterbed at a really low remaining air indication but after I told him I was right under the boat watching a manta doing loops on the wall he seemed ok with the reasoning. I had an issue with a hose coming apart but they repaired it overnight and was ready to go the next morning. I really enjoyed the quiet life on the East End v. 7 mile beach. Limited choice of nearby eateries.  Roland's Garden was a hoot for dinner but I understand that he's moved his edgy outdoor dining experience to town. 

physalia

• Total Dves: Over 1000
Was there last month (January) after not diving the East End since 2004 when Hurricane Ivan Trashed the Cayman Dive Lodge. Ocean Frontiers-Compass point was well beyond my memories & expectations  from 7 years ago. Very nice accommodations, superb dive staff. Yes, pick up your groceries   at the Big Fosters at the airport exit since food shopping in the east End is limited and expensive. Do this on Saturday since most of the island closes down on Sunday. Ocean Frontiers includes an Avis rent a car with their package, just be sure to fillet up close to the airport when you return it. In January it was over $8 a gallon US but the cars are very fuel efficient as I  only used about 3 gallons. The condos at Compass Point have full kitchens.

physalia

• Total Dves: Over 1000

Here's a link to my  slideshow of some of the areas I dived. It should give you an idea of the sites and sea life. The wreck of the Kittiwake involved me driving to near Georgetown for another dive operator that Ocean Frontiers set up. Hope this helps.

http://ghostcrab.smugmug.com/Other/Aweek-in-Grand-Cayman/21263948_LG8RGK

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include 20% Off at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas .