Author Topic: Whistling Ear  (Read 5327 times)

eponym

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Whistling Ear
« on: August 03, 2008, 20:19:22 UTC »
I know a dive shop owner whose ear makes a whistling sound when he valsalvas to equalize. I thought he was just a freak.

Last month I had an open water student with the same condition. He did not report any discomfort during or after dives, nor does he have any history of ear injuries. But every time he equalizes on the surface I can hear a prolonged whistling sound.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on in this situation?

-Bryan
The sea is a collector, quick to return a rapacious look.
Marianne Moore, A Grave

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Whistling Ear
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 14:53:47 UTC »
Hi Bryan,

Of course no definitive diagnosis can be arrived at without expert examination of the ear and associated structures.

However, it has been documented that a diver may have a very small perforation of the ear drum, so small that it does not preclude equalization or allow water to enter the middle ear space. Typically these do not cause any discomfort and can develop without an identifiable incident of trauma to the drum.

Following equalization on the surface, it is posssible for others to hear whistling, squeaking or "singing" sounds as air escapes the affected individual's middle ear.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

eponym

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 21:54:16 UTC »
Doc V,

Yes, very helpful.

Thank you,
Bryan
The sea is a collector, quick to return a rapacious look.
Marianne Moore, A Grave

Diver Rick

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 15:28:05 UTC »
.....Following equalization on the surface, it is possible for others to hear whistling, squeaking or "singing" sounds as air escapes the affected individual's middle ear.....

I am one of these people with "singing" ears.

I've been diving for almost 30 years, both professionally and sport diving, and have never had any problems with my ears or with equalization.   In fact, I can equalize VERY easily, with little or no effort, and have always assumed I must have E tubes you could drive through!

I also must have these tiny perforations, because the singing is quite noticeable from my ears!   After a sneeze or something, a particularly loud tune is common!

Rick

dleepenn

• Travel Photographs by D. Lee Penn
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 13:00:19 UTC »
Me too. Wonder how common this is.

crif

• SuspectSpammers
    • Ricardo Beverly Hills
  • Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 18:23:44 UTC »
I've heard that there's cure for this in homeopathy.

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 16:49:22 UTC »
I've heard that there's cure for this in homeopathy.

Hi crif,

Seems that between chiropractic, homeopathy & alternative nedicine there's a cure for just about everything.   This is not say they are without value, but IMHO they have been hyped beyond both reason & research by the unknowledgeable & unscrupulous.

I know of no homepathic remedy for what is essentially a hole in the eardrum.

In any event, if you could locate any research supporting such a cure, I'd be grateful.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include Valentine's Special at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas and Dive Indonesia's Alor with a $1000 discount .