Author Topic: Fogged Housing  (Read 2015 times)

Pete

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Fogged Housing
« on: January 01, 2012, 20:29:24 UTC »
I have a SONY HD video camera and a Seatool Housing. About 30 minutes in to a dive the lense port starts fogging up. In another 15 minutes it is completely fogged and the camera cannot auto focus. I have tried keeping the housing closed in air conditioning when not in use. I have tried keeping the housing closed at room temp when not in use. I have tried keeping the housing open when not in use.  I put a moisture muncher (silica gel) in the housing each day when I change batteries. I need some new ideas for solutions!

Traverse2

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Fogged Housing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:15 UTC »
I haven't tried this but it was recommended to a friend.  Put a tampon in the housing to absorb the moisture.  It's worth a shot...

mjwagner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:56 UTC »
I've had the same thing happen to my Canon Vixia in the Canon made housing and have tried munchers and tampons with no luck. My remedy has been to blow dry (hair dryer) the camera and housing before dive day and seal it up. Seems to work for two tank dive days as long as I don't need to open things up to replace the battery.

jdiver

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:28:44 UTC »
I collect the silica gel packets that come with so many things these days - and use them - sometimes definitely more than one, stuck in corners or under the camera where they won't obstruct the controls -in my housings. But if the camera is housed whilst the air moisture content is high, taking the housing from warm air into cool water will cause condensation and it may be too much for the silica. They can be dried out in a low oven when they become saturated. (We're all smart humans so I won't say anything about not putting the camera or housing into a low oven...  ;D)

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include Fall Special at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas and Dive or Adventure Lovers: Antarctica in March.