Author Topic: sunscreens  (Read 2173 times)

itchyfeet

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
sunscreens
« on: September 12, 2011, 22:53:49 UTC »
Does anyone know of an effective sunscreen that does not burn your eyes while diving ? I generally use a zinc and titanium based product which my dermatologist advised. However I was told by a dive master not to use any sunscreens at all since he had seen many people with burning eye problems secondary to their use. And my dermatologist had no good recommendations either.  thanx

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: sunscreens
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 13:37:57 UTC »
Hi itchyfeet,

A sun-reflecting physical block, such as the titanium dioxide/zinc oxide combo you report using, adheres better than do sun-absorbing chemical protectants (e.g., octyl methoxycinnamate) and doesn't run as easily. If such a block does get into the eye, they may be transiently bothersome but shouldn't cause any meaningful irritation and pose no threat to the eye. Just make sure the physical block you are using is high quality and doesn't contain questionable petroleum derivatives.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

robinneal

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: sunscreens
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 22:26:12 UTC »
try raw elements..

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include 20% Off at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas .