Author Topic: Anguilla/St Martin  (Read 4816 times)

Hutch

• Subscriber?: yes
Anguilla/St Martin
« on: July 21, 2008, 13:30:51 UTC »
My wife and I will be spending a week on Anguilla and a week on St. Martin in  December and we are looking for good diving and snorkeling spots/operators. Thanks

Anne

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Anguilla/St Martin
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 17:25:38 UTC »
Octapus Diving in Grand Case was very good, but there is just one guy (at least when we were there 2 years ago) and he booked up quickly, so book ahead.  There is also a great dive master in Marigot, but he only speaks French. (He had a dive instructor with him that spoke a little English)  I'm afraid I can't remember his shop, though.  If the Grand Case guy isn't available, he'll recommend the French guy.

johnnyrl

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:32 UTC »
i dove with aquamania in st marttin in 2006.
great operation, i would highly recommend it. waters there can be a bumpy ride. diving was beautiful, colors wonderful.  not as many fish as other places but enjoyaboe diving. 

link http://www.stmaarten-activities.com/

AQUA MANIA adventures is located at Pelican Marina in Simpson Bay | P.O. BOX 5262, Simpson Bay | Sint Maarten | Netherlands Antilles
Phone: (+599) 544 2640 / 544 2631 | Fax: (+599) 544 2476

RobertEE

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 18:52:40 UTC »
Anguilla is great for outstanding beaches but diving is so so.  Unfortunately, it has been years since I was there and at the time, only one dive op on the island.  Sorry can't help more and I know nothing of diving on St Martin

NJDIVER

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 17:29:43 UTC »
Dove both areas within the last three weeks.  Anguilla was mostly shallow stuff with pretty good viz.  Dove with Shoal Bay - at Shoal Bay Beach.  It is convenient as there are many dives sites within 10 minutes.  Watch for strong currents if diving Angel Reef.  The currents were strong the top 15 feet or so and was somewhat difficult holding a safety.  In St Martin we dove with Ocean Explorers.  These guys guys know how to find the spots.  2 miles off the coast we found a floating water bottle as a marker within 30 seconds of slowing the boat down.  Dove the "Carib Cargo" and then "The Bridge".  What colors and an abundance of fish...want to know what it's like to be a fish?...ask them to take you to "The Bridge".  This was the old Simpson Bay bridge they took down and lowered for an artificial reef.  Remember most of your dives in St Martin are in the ocean and they don't know where they're diving until they see the conditions at each of the sites.

shawrg

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:28:41 UTC »
Hutch,

I was in Anguilla in October 2004 for reasons other than diving & didn't pack any dive gear. However, a bit of snorkeling got fired me up to get a few dives in. it was definitely worth checking out the underwater scene.  I dove with Douglas Carty of Special 'D' Diving and Charters. He was very helpful and accommodating - willing to go out even though I was the only diver one day! Sorry, but I have no diving experience on St. Martin.

Glenn

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.