Author Topic: Jamaica - Negril Beaches -Dive operator  (Read 3565 times)

rkrigg

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Jamaica - Negril Beaches -Dive operator
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:41:47 UTC »
I will be staying at the Beaches Grand Resort in Negril in early November 2011.  I know that the resort offers free diving at 9 am and 11 am however I am in a class each day until 1 pm.  Therefore, I need a good dive operator in Negril. Any advice?  How is the diving around Negril?
The trip is just around the corner, has anyone dove in the Negril area?  Looking for any and all comments.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 23:27:27 UTC by rkrigg »
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

rkrigg

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Jamaica - Negril Beaches -Dive operator
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 19:55:15 UTC »
I will respond to my own post.  I have returned from diving with Jamaica Scuba Divers / Sun Divers / Caribbean Treasures.   http://www.sundiversnegril.com/  they go by many names.  I am an Advance diver with about 160 dives and consider myself comfortable in the water and a cautious diver.  My buddy on these dives was less experienced.  Where should I start?  First there is no marine park around Jamaica.  The residents use the sea as a major source of food.  So don't expect to see anything of size as they have been eaten.  Between the Jamaicans and the Lionfish the reef will be gone soon.  On the plus side they are harvesting all the Lionfish they find.  The visibility was very good 75 plus, nice coral and small reef fish.
The shop picked us up on time and the driver was our guide.  We arrived at the shop and I was glad I brought my own equipment as they had limited equipment and only a few wet suits.  I only needed a wet suit and weights.
 The boat arrived and it was a sight; this was going to be an adventure.  It was a small homemade boat, which held the four of us and gear.  I would hate to be on this boat with more than 2 divers, the guide and captain.  Oh yes the boat was a glass bottom boat (looked like glass not plastic) so the tanks had to be handled carefully.  We got the gear loaded and off we went. Did I mention the boat had about 4 inches of water in it?  The motor was working very hard but not going very fast.
As the dive guide set up our equipment, we learned that out of the six tanks one was 800 psi, one was about 3000 psi, and the rest 2400 psi.  They don't use the cap system for the tanks.  Backed rolled in and away we went.  Oh yes, no safety or dive plan other than let the dive guide know when we are at 1000 psi and just follow him.  We had an interesting dive.  Surfaced and the boat was about ΒΌ of a mile away in 2 to 3 foot swells.  At this point the dive guide put his fin on the spear gun and started yelling for the boat.  When the boat arrived I noticed there was no dive flag up.  Hey it is Jamaica!
The next day, yes we did two dives the first day and came back again for two more.  I believe my worst day of diving is better than my best day at work.  The dive guide proceeded to take 3 lobsters, some small snappers and other fish and about six Lionfish.   Spent a lot of my time catching up with him as he hunted!  We saw four fish traps while diving; they had small (not edible) reef fish in them.
In summary Jamaica is not a dive destination, it was ok diving and I would not dive with this shop unless you are an experienced diver and know what to do.
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Jamaica - Negril Beaches -Dive operator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 14:07:41 UTC »
Thanks for the mini-TR, RK.

BTW, I entirely share your sentiments.

Regards.

DocV

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.