Author Topic: Florida Keys - wreck trek  (Read 2038 times)

mikey

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Florida Keys - wreck trek
« on: May 12, 2011, 17:28:33 UTC »
On the dive show  "Boot"in Duesseldorf I learned of the wreck trek tour which Florida Tourist Board introduced with a small logbook. It shows 9 of the new artificial reefs, which they built by sinking some old vessels in the Key area. The idea attracted me. With Scuba Fun Key Largo I found a partner who arranged accommodation and all possible wreck dives even down to Key West. I dove with different local operators to make sure, I'll get the chance to see most of the pictured wrecks. Spiegel Grove, Duane, Vandenberg were stunning adventour dives. It seems to be a good idea to built new reefs that way, lots of fishlife had already chosen these wrecks as their home and shelter. The older wrecks showed good coral growth. Scuba Fun pointed out highlights and good restaurants around, so I had delicious dinners at Mrs. Mac, Pilot House etc. and enjoyed special local meals like crab cake. Down in Key West I dove with South Point Divers and Dive Key West. All operators did a good job. South Point helps divers with a traverse line in 15 feet under the boat to reach the marker buoy down to the wreck. With others you had to grab your way along the surface in sometimes choppy seas to the dive buoy. Sad to say, we couldn't find operators having the Bibb, A. Bosch Eagle and Thunderbolt on their schedule. So I guess I just have to come back and try again.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include Fall Special at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas and Dive or Adventure Lovers: Antarctica in March.