Author Topic: currents  (Read 3241 times)

franksjj

• Subscriber?: yes
currents
« on: March 07, 2011, 23:40:45 UTC »
yes i know i should know this but 

what do you consider to be  light, moderate, or strong current in relation to dive sites.  if it works  for you, would you give examples for world wide 'known' dive sites at their 'fastest', as illustrations

much thanks
jeff

DocV

• Global Moderator
  • Subscriber?: yes
Re: currents
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:25 UTC »
Hi Jeff,

IMHO, many divers way overestimate the strength of the currents they’re in. It doesn’t take that many knots for things to get gnarly. Light current (to 1 knot); medium current (1 to 2 knots); strong current (2 to 3 knots); very strong current (3 knots); and too strong current (>3 knots). At 2-3 knots, the average diver cannot swim against it or even effectively stop in it. At 3 you get a ripping ride which at best you can only control. Above 3 knots you’re getting into a potentially dangerous situation.

Wickedest currents I've experienced were doing advanced diving off Tobago. Heart Attack Alley & The Washing Machine would tear your mask & fins off if you weren't careful. British Columbia tides and currents can be hair-raising as well.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.