Author Topic: Maldives Dive Travel  (Read 4556 times)

Divergirl73

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Maldives Dive Travel
« on: February 28, 2011, 22:58:24 UTC »
I am thinking about a trip to the Maldives and have been looking at the Maldives Dive Travel boat the Stingray. Does anyone have any experience with this company and boat? Thanks for any help you can give me.

mfritze

• Total Dves: over 1000
Re: Maldives Dive Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:14:37 UTC »
I have been at the Maldives about a dozen times (twice last year), including several live-aboards and been in about 10 atolls (only missing the very far north and the southern ones). However I have not been on the Stingray (but I've heard good things about it).

But I can add some things to it: the Maldives is mainly a European/Asian destination. You'd be very lucky if you see another American - the Stingray is offered e.g. by German travel agents and you can end up with a boat full of Germans and then language can be a problem. Diving is usually European style: up to 3 dives a day (usually two before lunch, one in the afternoon). Most dives in the Maldives are drift dives and/or because of the the coral bleaching 12 years ago the best corals in the northern atolls are deeper (60-100ft). I'd heavily recommend Nitrox! On every one of my trips I've seen mantas and sharks, etc. For whale sharks you either need to be lucky or be at the right season in the right atoll.

I would never travel there for just a week. 2 weeks is the most common trip duration for people from Europe.

Flying to the Maldives is a different problem from the USA. From the west coast you probably consider Singapore Airlines. A very good carrier, however you will arrive around midnight at the Maldives and leave at 2am or so. If you consider visiting an atoll that requires a flight with a water plane, you have to stay overnight at the airport or at the captial, losing 2 travel days. The other options is Emirates via Dubai, which can get you there in the morning (perfect) and you can fly back in the morning or evening, depending on you trip plans. I would pick them, I've flown both (in Business or First) they are good.

From the westcoast you either travel via Europe (e.g. via London or Frankfurt) or via the middle east (Qatar, Dubai). Connection times can be tricky and tacke vacation time away, Qatar airways is probably the best choice, Emirates also a good option. Via Europe probably only makes sense if you collect miles with a certain airline.

Feel free to ask me for more details.

Divergirl73

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 22:41:44 UTC »
Thanks for the info! I may be asking for more info as we get closer to the trip.

mfritze

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 23:02:57 UTC »
If you check the usual weather sites, you will find out that the Maldives have two seasons, etc. This information is quite useless...

General rule: the temperature (air, water, day, night) is always the same - all year round. At least as a rule of thumb. That's good...

But being on a boat, you want no rain and that is tricky. If possible go in February/March, these two months have the _minimal_ chance of rain. In every other month you can be unlucky enough to have a full week of rain... (not typical, but rain every day is possible). For that reason I prefer a beach bungalow and not an over-water one: they can get hit by nightly rain very hard and throughout the day you burn your feet on the wood...

scubavid

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 19:48:28 UTC »
We went to the Maldives last September. We were on a live aboard called the Ark Royal. We went to an area called Hanifaru which is in the north. There were supposed to have been tons of mantas. We saw none! We did see a couple near Male the capital city. A few people on our boat did see a whale shark. As for the rest of what we saw nothing was worth going half way around the world for. We are from the east coast of the US. I wouldn't recommend the Ark Royal either. They had some major problems with the boat. As far as getting there we flew Emirates from JFK non stop to Dubai. Then a 4 hour flight from Dubai to Male. Wonderful airline...try to fly business class if you can.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.