Author Topic: Will TSA allow transporting lobsters in ice blocks (in carry-ons)?  (Read 7105 times)

waynet

• Subscriber?: yes
I'll be flying back from Florida (back to NY) after enjoying the lobster mini-season there in a couple of weeks and want to bring back the lobsters in ice blocks ... prefereably in sealed tupperware containers (wrapped properly of course).  Anyone experienced this with TSA in a carry-on?

Thanks!

Wayne :)

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Will TSA allow transporting lobsters in ice blocks (in carry-ons)?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:47:01 UTC »
No experience with this directly, but remember that there is a limit on the quantity of liquids you can bring on board, so that may bite you in the backside.   Also, the airlines (at least American Airlines) has begun to get very strict on carry on numbers and size.  On my trip down to Providenciales last week, the gate agent for American forced several people to gate check bags because they either had more than two carry ons or the gate agent decided the bag was too large.

Don

Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

thranx

• personal
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Will TSA allow transporting lobsters in ice blocks (in carry-ons)?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 16:42:58 UTC »
Make sure whatever container you pack them in is transparent to airport scanners.  Same for wrapping (don't use aluminum foil).  You don't want some overzealous TSA employee unpacking them to check for explosives or drugs (I am not kidding).

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.