Author Topic: Curacao Rental  (Read 4992 times)

Pete

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Curacao Rental
« on: January 21, 2011, 22:18:04 UTC »
We are thinking about renting a place in Curacao for a month or so. Would like a 2 bedroom on the water, and the name (s) of good dive operators. It has been several years since we have been to Curacao, so we aren't sure where to start!

bnewman

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Curacao Rental
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 16:27:29 UTC »
Hi.  We stay at Coral Estate, where a variety of villa rentals are available. We like Category 3 Las Verandas villas up the hill from the Habitat hotel/Diversity dive operation.  Three air conditioned bedrooms, veranda, washer & dryer, etc. the whole villa is very comfortable, views to die for, private small but adequate pools.  Twice a week cleaning of villa and pool, all linen and kitchenware included.  The price depends on the number of people (1-2, 3-4 or 5-6) staying, and it gets pretty cheap when you are 5-6 and sharing costs.

The restaurant at the Habitat hotel has greatly improved since last year, and makes for an easy option if you don't feel like cooking.  The Centrum supermarket in Piscadera is excellent and prices are quite good for quality products from the U.S. and Europe.  You will save a lot of money over a month by having drinks and nice delicacies versus always heading to a restaurant (the next closest is Daniel's Landhuis, about 10 minutes away, and excellent).

Shore diving is easy (in Curaçao, you do need to rent a car to get around).  At Diversity there is an excellent shore dive right off the dock that leads out (with a guide line underwater) to a superb wall that we do almost everyday, and nearby are Cas Abou and Porto Mari beaches to shore dive from.  It is very nice to not have to race to get on the boat in the morning, and a shore dive tank runs you only US$ 8.50.

We like it so much (we live in Rio de Janeiro, and that is a lot of travel to get there) we have gone back each year for five years running--and are planning to do a two or three month stay there starting mid-December 2011.  For any long stay, a villa beats a hotel hands down.  Plus, you can invite an extra couple to join you for a week or two!

Coral Estate's website is www.coral-estate.com and has a link to the Diversity site.

Enjoy!

Pete

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 16:43:02 UTC »
Thanks so much! That is exactly the type of information we are looking for.

bnewman

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 17:12:46 UTC »
Thank you, you are most welcome.  If you need more information after checking out the Coral Estate website, let me know either in this thread or via personal messaging (PM).

Regards,
Bruce

bnewman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 17:09:25 UTC »
Hi.  Now that my reservation has been confirmed 24 December 2011 through 25 February 2012 (haha!), I will let you know that the Las Verandas 1025 is a great villa, our favorite thus far, and at a very fair rate.  Sorry to not have let you know before, but we needed to escape Christmas, New Years and Carnaval from Rio (it is great, but hey, how many years do you need to go through the craziness each year?).

From what I have seen in terms of responses, you can get at least a 15% discount from the car rental agencies for a car, should get you around about $30 for a low-end car, $38/day for something better.  I just got a nice response with a significant discount for long-term rentals from Raymond Klaassen at www.centraal-rent-a-car.nl.  The reality is that you don't really need much more than that for going down to the resort, hitting the supermarket every now and then, and the little bit of cruising that you will do on the island for shore diving elsewhere.  Just a point here, if you are going to be a month or more (and we are doing more than two), act like locals or ex-pats, and simplify your lives while living very well.

PM me your details and I will hook you up with Clark Bloom, dive master/instructor extraordinaire, just up the hill at Coral Estate, who can probably put together the best dives you have ever had (Hi, Clark!).  Over a month, you will be pleased...  Between Clark and daily diving at the local reef, well, all is well.

Cheers,
Bruce

bnewman

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 19:28:24 UTC »
But, divers beware (I have said this before on Curaçao, last time regarding Sunset Waters).  The latest word is that Habitat (the hotel) is closing in March 2011...  no idea as to what Diversity, which was building a new dive shop, but seemed somewhat weak, is going to do.

There is always good diving nearby, but we are going to watch out to see what it happening.  We got burned before by the closing down of Sunset Waters and Sunset Divers farther up the coast.

The villas in Coral Estate seem to continue to be OK in terms of management, the word is that the developer seems to want to make the hotel (which they have taken over) much higher class and that is the reason to shut it down for a while, though when I was then in January it seemed that they were doing considerable work  Um, we will have to see what comes out of all of this, for the moment I am asking a lot of questions and not sending money until I know what I will see when I arrive.

Let's all pay attention and see what can be expected.  Short-term divers can always arrange good options in Curaçao, and as you know the diving reviews are seriously good.  Us long-term types have to watch out for local developments.

Joe Proctor

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 14:12:37 UTC »
For a great dive operation, look up The Dive Bus.  http://www.the-dive-bus.com/  They have been there over 6 years and are the best!  Great people and very knowledgable about the sites, the island, etc.  We have been diving with them for about 5 years and would not use anyone else on the island.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 14:17:23 UTC by procjoe »

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.