Author Topic: Tawali vs. Walindi  (Read 4222 times)

Twodivers in NJ

• Subscriber?: yes
Tawali vs. Walindi
« on: January 17, 2011, 21:00:15 UTC »
We are about to book a land dive operator in PNG. We have been to Tufi and are considering either Tawali or Walindi. Most Undercurrent posts perfer Walindi, but my travel agent says they're expensive and the diving isn't as good as Tawali.

Any recent info?

Wassi

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Tawali vs. Walindi
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:23:20 UTC »
Hmmmm sounds like your travel agent gets a better commission with Tawali???

What time of the year are you planning on going?  I personally prefer Walindi, the diving is much better there.  If cost is an issue Walindi does have "budget" rooms.

How was the diving at Tufi? I haven't been back there for a while.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:35:53 UTC by Wassi »

Twodivers in NJ

• Subscriber?: yes
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:39:12 UTC »
August is the only time we can go. I know it's the windy season but that's when we can get away.

Simon Tewson has departed Tufi and there are new managers whom we do not know. We had a great time there even though the wind prevented us from getting out of the fjord on three days.

All the reviews seem to indicate Walindi is the place to be.......
Have you been to both sites? Can you give us a quick thumb nail  compare and contrast?

I have to believe the diving at Walindi is similar to New Ireland's which we did when Mike Ball still went there.

Thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:36:02 UTC by Twodivers in NJ »

Wassi

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:16:42 UTC »
It's been years since I've been to Tufi, but Walindi is a similar operation they have 3 fast day boats, the longest trip is about 45 mins most sites are within 30mins.

The diving in Kimbe Bay is all about the coral reefs, so mostly bommies and walls.  Inglis Reef I like a lot as it has lots of sharks and barracuda plus the Japanese Zero wreck is really cool!  Susan's is also a favorite, the reef is so beautiful!

A typical day consisted of 2 morning dives, lunch at a small island called Restorf then an afternoon dive.  My understanding is that they can still get to most of their dive sites even in rough weather.

The bungalows are really nice, lots of space, there is no air-con but I found the huge ceiling fans to be adequate.

This is a nice video about Kimbe Bay on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RBDEB2AosA

I find Walindi to be a really relaxed place, the staff are so friendly - but the diving is what it's all about and I assure you it's excellent.

If you do end up going let me know how the trip was, I'm hoping to return soon!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.