Author Topic: BCs  (Read 3399 times)

MJ

• Subscriber?: yes
BCs
« on: January 15, 2011, 19:34:45 UTC »
I’m looking for information on BCs comfortable for women. The BC doesn’t have to be marketed as a being for women, but I have found them to be more comfortable due to their design. I’ve had a Seaquest Diva for some years, but that model has been discontinued. To me, the key elements are integrated inflator hose-alternate air source, lots of D-rings, lots of pockets, easy-to-use yet bomb-proof tank bands, high and low dumps --- oh, and lightweight for air travel. Did I mention that I want it all? I have become a warm-water diver, so I don’t require an integrated weight system (for a dry suit). From web browsing it looks like the current top contenders are Mares Kaila, Maries Aliikai and Oceanic Hera. I’d appreciate any first or second-hand (or third-hand) recommendations / comparisons / suggestions.

CindyEdge

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: BCs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:57:52 UTC »
Hi MJ -

I used to have an Oceanic Isla (similar to the Diva) so when I needed to replace it, I thought I would get a Hera. I tried it on and it was much bigger and bulkier and not at all comfortable. My husband had be so happy with his Zeagle back-inflate BC and talked me into trying on the Zeagle Laser. I did and then bought it and can't tell you how happy I am with it. It is so much more comfortable than the Isla or any other jacket style BC. And being a back-inflation, it packs easily (we're tropical divers too so travel to dive). Zeagle offers an inflator hose alternate air source. The Laser doesn't have as many D rings as my husband's Ranger but it has enough for me. And if you don't use the integrated weight pockets you could use them as additional gear pockets. I really love this BC (and never thought I would say that out a BCD!) I hope you will try a back inflate (and hopefully the Zeagle).

Cindy

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.