Author Topic: Herd diving  (Read 3308 times)

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Herd diving
« on: October 23, 2010, 11:41:29 UTC »
We just returned from 11 days in beautiful Palau diving with Sam's! Sam's is a first class operation and I highly recommend it to anyone! On three different dives we were at our dive site and in the water when a herd of divers came storming by in a big group as if they were racing to get the the best place. We just settled down and let them pass. The problem is they have no regard for anyone else. The fist encounter they stormed past as we were on our way to the manta cleaning station. Needless to say, when we arrived they had the site so mucked up you could not see anything, and had sent the mantas running for safety. Again we encountered them on a wreck dive. We were on the wreck and all of a sudden there was a cloud of silt everywere, and divers bumping into you trying to get around the wreck. I think you get the picture. What ever happened to diver etiquette? It is a big underwater world and there is room for us all. Let's just use some common sense. I know new divers are still fine tuning their buoyancy, that anyone can muck up a site on any given day by mistake and so on. But for a group as a whole to dive like this and for the dive operation to allow this (not Sam's) is just wrong. Not only are the divers in the herd not getting the full wonders of our underwater world, they ruin dives for other divers not in their group.  :o   

• Subscriber?: yes
Re: Herd diving
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:22:52 UTC »
Yes, this is becoming far more common these days, and I wish there were a way to teach people good manners and teach divemasters to calm down a little with this herding stuff. This is a good post and a good way to help spread the word. Most of these types of comments tend to be focused on nationality, but it's not about that; it's about attitude of the shop and about the divemasters reminding and teaching people good behavior. That's their job after all. Word of the day: Politeness. Help spread the word!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.