Author Topic: Scuba diving in Indonesia  (Read 4483 times)

jankeys

• Subscriber?: no
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Scuba diving in Indonesia
« on: September 26, 2010, 16:07:38 UTC »
Hello......I can only plan on this one-time dream vacation.  My first choice is Wakatobi,  however would be open to some new suggestions.  We prefer going where there would be some larger fish but some of the places seem so hard to get to from LAX.   Even the muck diving sounds good if the place would have a good house reef to snorkel from.
Thanks,
Jankeys

siamdivers

• Subscriber?: yes
Re: Scuba diving in Indonesia
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:01:03 UTC »
What time of year are you thinking of going? Indonesia is not as seasonal as other places, but some areas can be. Your biggest chances of seeing big stuff is probably going to be Komodo National Park and this park is only done from a liveaboard. Some via Bali, some via Flores, a short flight away from Bali. There are lots of flights to Bali from LAX, mostly via Singapore. Singapore Air is great, so is THAI. You can fly to Bali via Bangkok as well. UA has a good flight to Bangkok then you can grab a number of airlines to Bali.

You have lots and lots of land-based diving in North Sulawesi and that is easy to get to via Singapore (flights about three times weekly). Not too much big stuff, but the critters are some of the best anywhere. The resorts are pretty and you have muck diving on one side of the island, and walls with clear blue water on the other. There are not as many liveaboards there as in other places, as the dive sites are relatively close to shore. But Ocean Rover runs there and she's a great boat.

Raja Ampat is on everyone's mind these days too and that is liveaboard for the best diving as well. Bit of a pain to get there, you have to go through Manado for the easiest connection, so from Singapore it takes a 3.5 hour flight, a wait and then another pretty long flight. But, worth the trip. The End of the Earth.

Much of it depends on how much time you have. And what month of course. I hope this helps.

Best,

John Williams

jankeys

• Subscriber?: no
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 19:28:13 UTC »
Hi John...........Thanks for the info.   Plan on making the trip sometime next fall (2011) or thereafter.   When and where I go will depend on the water temp, etc.  Jankeys

siamdivers

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:36:31 UTC »
Hi again. Fall or autumn is pretty wide. High season in Komodo, for example, is considered to be August, September, and October. November it starts to wind down although there are still boats going (all year around actually for some of them). In November, some of the Komodo boats will start to head east to Sulawesi and then West Papua (Raja Ampat). You can email me at dive@siamdivers.com if you want, and we have dive site descriptions and weather charts on our website at http://indodivers.com.

Actually, almost anywhere in Indonesia is great! It's some of, if not THE best diving in the world. I think many people on this forum will agree.

John

DavidWarshaw

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 20:42:16 UTC »
Jankeys... My wife and I have been to Wakatobi three times, and to Komodo... all were in the fall.  Agree with John that there is more big stuff in Komodo.  We did International Dive and Sail's Siren in Komodo.  Fantastic stuff.  Warmer in the north, but not really warm.  Gets quite cold as you head south (65F), but Manta Alley site is not to be missed.  It's a feeding station that's like standing at the end of the runway at Newark Airport at five o'clock watching the "big birds" fly in.  Currents can be quite strong.  We did four dives a day from the boat for the week; treated wonderfully with excellent food, crew and service.  Wakatobi is a special place.  We went in 05, 06, 07... the last trip spending 18 days (first seven on the Palagian live aboard.  That wasn't such a good deal, as diving from the resort is great.  There's a real family feel to the resort.  They have grown some, and I hear folks say that's been problematic... but the boat diving and house reef are so wonderful.  It's worth a once-in-a-lifetime trip.  On the way back one year, we spent a few days in Ubud inland in Bali.  This is a lovely art colony town where you get a real feel for island life away from the touristy places near Kuta or Denpasar.  Photos of my dive trips are at:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwar/collections/72157606675880790/  We dive with our dive club from Blue Water Divers in New Jersey, so it's nice to have friends along.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.