Poll

live aboards

Key West
0 (0%)
Marathon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Florida Keys  (Read 3900 times)

mikey

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Florida Keys
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:07:05 UTC »
plan a trip and want to dive all those famous wrecks, like Spiegel, Vandenberg etcetera - saw a logbook published by FL tourist board introducing 9 of the best dives. Are there live aboards out of Key West or Miami cruising this area and diving there? Which time is best to travel, is May a good idea? Thanks Mike

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Florida Keys
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:03:59 UTC »
Hi Mikey,

To the best of my knowledge, there are no liveaboards that cruise this area with the purpose of diving these wrecks. Diving them is land-based.

May generally is a decent time of year SCUBA-wise.

Regards,

DocVikingo

mikey

• Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:11:51 UTC »
Hi Mikey,

To the best of my knowledge, there are no liveaboards that cruise this area with the purpose of diving these wrecks. Diving them is land-based.

May generally is a decent time of year SCUBA-wise.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Doc,

thank you so much for your info. Through a US buddy I now found the following, maybe you were not aware of this offer, could be a good idea for my plans.

Juliet is a majestic 104 foot, 3-masted schooner, welcoming only 12 guests per liveaboard cruise. The limited number of guests allows our crew of 5 to customize each voyage to meet your interests, needs and diving experience.
Our crew’s customer focus, attention to safety, and passion for the sea are unmatched in the industry.
Join us as we sail and dive the turquoise waters of the Bahamas in the summer and the wreck-strewn waters of the Florida Keys in the winter. During 2010, we will be offering Bahamas itineraries departing out of Miami and two Florida Keys itineraries. One itinerary will travel between Miami and Key West, diving all the major wrecks of the Keys. The other itinerary will depart out of Key West and visit the Dry Tortugas.
After a morning of scuba diving, hoist the sails, take the helm and sail Juliet on the open seas.

Capulet Marine, Inc.
DBA Juliet Sailing and Diving
123 SE 3rd Ave. #484
Miami, FL  33131
1-866-558-5438

dkromm

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 18:56:36 UTC »
We just got back from 5 days in Key Largo.  I dove lots of their wrecks, the Duane twice, Spiegel Grove 3 times, Bibb once and Benwood  - a lesser wreck - twice.  Nice dives, one of the days was glorious - dead calm, 80' vis.

We dive with Rainbow Reef, the only operator in the Keys, that I know, that has dive masters in the water with you.  I like dive masters. 

A quick story.  Did one night dive with another operator, who I think are generally good.  But no dive masters.  My buddy for that night was taking a hyberbaric class, an active duty Navy guy - younger and more fit than my 64 yr old bod.  It was his only dive during his one week class, he said he would follow me.   As is the norm, there was a mild current.  We eventually drifted down current maybe 100 yrds from the boat.  I popped up to find the boat, took a compass reading and went back down to 25'.  My buddy then popped up, I went back up with him and he said he was out of air and proceeded to abruptly surface swim back to the boat.  He had 1,300psi about 2 minutes earlier - he was clearly scared that I would not lead him back to the boat underwater.  So, we beat it back on a surface swim and missed about 1/2 of the dive.  If a dive master had been down with us there would have been no anxiety and we would have had a much more pleasureable dive.

The wrecks are only 30-40 minutes from shore.  There are lots of places to stay and lots of Key vibe restaurants/bars.

We have never been to the Keys in May.  i would just check weather history and make a call if that is the right time for you.  Weather is always the grand mystery that cannot be controlled or predicted with great accuracy.

Have fun.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.