Author Topic: Thanks for the article on NAUI's photo competition practicies  (Read 3054 times)

ccox

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Thanks for the article on NAUI's photo competition practicies
« on: September 24, 2010, 17:30:36 UTC »
I want to thank Undercurrent for the article "Fair for Photographers" in the Aug 2010 issue.  Because of your article, I am more careful about reading the small print before letting other entities use my photos. I volunteer as a reasearch diver for a non-profit organization that raises funds for artificial reefs.  I often authorize the use of my underwater photos for free if I feel it benefits this organization.  Recently, I was asked by a state office to use some of my photos in their brochures.  I wanted to do it until I read the release.  It could be interpreted that once I let them use the photos I would no longer have a right to them.  I've asked the organization to change the wording in thier release to make it clear I can still use my photos as I wish.  They agreed I had a valid concern on the wording, and have sent my request to their legal department for review.  Undercurrent's article on the NAUI photo competition may have saved me from a serious blunder.  Thanks!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.