Author Topic: Good island for Caribbean shore diving?  (Read 4073 times)

oregondiver

• Subscriber?: no
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Good island for Caribbean shore diving?
« on: September 07, 2010, 20:47:28 UTC »
We were wanting to take a trip from Portland Oregon to Bonaire...but airfare in February is running about $1100.  >:(

Trying to keep costs down by doing majority of shore diving with just 1/2 days of boat diving.

Looking for other island suggestions.
I have been to Grand Cayman, liked it but it is super expensive (if my memory is right). Little Caymay/CB...flights are reasonable, but diving seems to be pretty expensive?

Grenada seems fabulous, but didn't see much about shore diving.
Dominica I read here on the forum that unlimited shore diving is not an option?
How about St Lucia? Barbados? Cozumel (not really interested in the whole "elbow to elbow crowds" but hey, if y'all say it is fabulous and great shore diving, let me know!
Thanks in advance
SHell
where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?!!?

divergal

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Good island for Caribbean shore diving?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 19:08:31 UTC »
Ever thought about Honduras? Laguna Beach Resort on Utila is supposed to have good shore dives, but we're planning on going to CocoView on Roatan. We've never been but from talking to friends, its great because there's a house reef/wall/wreck right off the premises.
 Also, I know its not the Caribbean, but the Big Island in Hawaii is awesome for shore dives. We went there several times and its almost as easy as Bonaire - pick up some tanks, get in your pickup and drive. Kona has several great sites - Place of refuge sticks out. Jacks Diving Locker and Dive Makai are both great outfits to go with. The airfare from Oregon will be alot less than the Caribbean, I think, but the accomodations might be a bit more expensive. We shared a condo and bought all our food and didn't go out to eat much and saved $$$. Also, Hawaii's economy is getting really hit hard, so there are some great deals out there. I know this isn't what you intended but if you're into shore diving and something where the airfare won't be so bad from Oregon, I'd try Hawaii.
That's my $0.02... :)

oregondiver

• Subscriber?: no
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 19:12:33 UTC »
Hey Divergal,
Thanks for the info.

Big Island is our back up if it doesn't appear we can swing the Caribbean.   ;D

Glad to know it is so easy. We wouldnt' want to go there in Feb because temps don't seem that great (and more chance of rain...no thanks! We have that in Oregon!). But May for Big Island....very good option.
Thanks.
where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?!!?

twiggy8

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 05:02:04 UTC »
Have you looked into Curacao? We have been to both Curacoa and Aruba. Same area as Bonaire. Aruba is def. not for shore diving. Curacao has plenty of shore diving. We went two years ago. I don't know if the airfare is any better there but thinking it might be as it is easier to get to than Bonaire. We dove in Curacao with a company called the dive bus. They do all shore diving with small groups like 7 or 8 divers. They have started leading a couple trips a year to Bonaire. We were suppose to go to Bonaire with them this year but had to cancel due to a death in the family. Now we are doing Bonaire with them next year.

I have to agree with you about the temps in Hawaii in Feb. We went to Kauaii and Oahu last year in May and even then the water temps were cold for us as we are used to Caribbean diving. But Hawaii is def. much easier to get to from Oregon!

dkromm

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 19:03:51 UTC »
We have gone to Culebra twice, a small island E. of mainland Puerto Rico - called the Spanish Virgins by some.  There is shore and boat diving there, along with the best snorkeling I have ever done but it takes a hike to get to the best beach and snorkeling reef.

We liked the vibe, a very quiet island.  You can either take a small plane from San Juan or a ferry from Fajardo.  There are often air fare deals to San Juan.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include 20% Off at Little Cayman's Paradise Villas .