Author Topic: Aruba  (Read 5080 times)

GiulianoLC

• Subscriber?: yes
Aruba
« on: July 21, 2008, 03:11:22 UTC »
Going to Aruba 1st week of April and have heard mixed things about diving -- strong currents, low visibility, etc.  I have over 200 dives but my nephew is just starting so any info on the tamer sites (and others more advanced that he doesn't have to come to) would be appreciated.  Based on info from this site, I think Dive Aruba is a good operator with a max of 7 divers/boat.   Any other thoughts on dive operators? thanks

jlf0

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Aruba
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:24:40 UTC »
We went to Aruba a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dives that were available. There is a mix - reef, drift, wreck. The drift dives are suitable to beginners - they are mild compared to some of the currents in Cozumel.

We used Dive Aruba (Clive). One of the days there were a group of four that hadn't been diving for a long time. Clive was very patient with them and helpful.

JoAn

johnnyrl

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 20:31:57 UTC »
hi i am also traveling to aruba in august , the 16th and am curious , i had read comments on the uncercurrent reviews and was planning on using native divers, romeo , and as second dive aruba, clive.  i would appreciate any feedback. also has anyone done some of the limited shore diving there.  thanks , johnny

jlf0

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 23:46:42 UTC »
We did one shore dive... the dive site was ok, but it was a hassle to get the tanks and gear to the entry point. We didn't really feel confident that we are on public property. Not worth it, from our perspective.

JoAn

barefoot

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 18:40:03 UTC »
I was there three years ago and dived with Unique Sports, http://www.visitaruba.com/uniquesports/.  The did a great job.  I did five days with them and never dived the same site except for the night dive on the Pedernales.  I visited Aruba before I diving Bonaire and Curacao.  The reefs on Aruba are not close to shore as the other two, so all my diving was from a boat.  Aruba has good wrecks.  You most do the Antilla.  It was sunk during the war by it's German crew.
Unique Sports has two boats with plenty of room for everyone.  Both have a rinse tank for cameras.  Crew was very helpful and listen to our requests.  They even let me dive my profile when the divemaster or instructor was low on air.  Unique Sports picked my up at my resort located in the "low rise" area (timeshares).  They are localed in the "high rise" area where the hotels are located.  Aruba was a fun island to visit.  Easy to get around with out a rental car, but I would rent one for a day and tour the island.
I can provide more information if needed.

johnnyrl

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:02:59 UTC »
thanks for the reply

jcrellin

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 15:53:12 UTC »
I have been to almost every wreck underwater in Aruba.  First off, Dive Aruba (Clive) is the best way to go.  He is a small operation and never has more than 7 divers and he lets you use your tank, in other words he does not limit you to a specific time. Go to his web site and you will see where he dives each day.  he sticks to the schedule.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.