Author Topic: raja ampat weather  (Read 7364 times)

DIVERDUG

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
raja ampat weather
« on: July 26, 2010, 22:36:31 UTC »
what month or months are best to visit raja ampat?  the weather conditions on the water in indonesia are very hard to determine.  does anyone know a good reliable reference of what months to dive what areas in indonesia?  thanks!

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: raja ampat weather
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:20:40 UTC »
Hi DIVERDUG,

It's the general concensus among those who regularly dive this area that there is no particular "best time" as conditions remain largely the same throughout the year. Occasionally the sea might pick up a little between mid-Jul - mid-Sep, but these typically only involve minor swells that don't cause much inconvenience. May - Sep is the rainy season, but those rains typically are light and passing. Of course expect to see some rain year 'round -- the region isn't that lush and green for no reason.

Here's the trip report from my last diving there:

Raja Ampat: where one feels like a king
http://www.undercurrent.org/members/UCnow/dive_magazine/2010/ArchipelagoAdventurer201006.html

Regards,

DocVikingo

ldg7

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 23:51:01 UTC »
I was there for two weeks last December and as Doc said, we had a couple days of light rain.  Not enough to stop the diving.  The rest of the time was wonderful.  Can't wait to get back in December of 2011.
Enjoy yourself.

Mach10

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 18:17:12 UTC »
I was there in May of this year.  We had a very few light showers, but most of the time it was bright and sunny.  The diving was great.

jblake555

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 20:24:02 UTC »
I was there the first two weeks of April. Some lite showers just before we arrived messed up the visibility for the 1st or two but not enough to matter. Biodiversity is the best on the planet!!

siamdivers

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:04:40 UTC »
You can pretty much trust the liveaboards to schedule around the best months. They are the ones who know the weather patterns best and they plan accordingly.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.