Author Topic: Diving in Tanzania  (Read 3887 times)

octotra

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Diving in Tanzania
« on: May 14, 2010, 15:41:11 UTC »
Does anyone out there have any recent experience diving in Pemba Channel or near Mafia Island? Anyone dive Pemba from the M Y Kisiwani liveaboard? I'm thinking of taking my family to Tanzania for a diving vacation. Thanks.

jblake555

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Diving in Tanzania
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 19:44:43 UTC »
I dove from a land based operation on Zanzibar two  years ago after finishing a safari trip in Tanzania. It was near the end of February. Before I left L.A. I had contacted the dive operation (One Ocean, The Zanzibar Dive Center) and made arrangements for 3 days of two tank dives.

The first day there was myself and a couple from Germany and three snorkelers. It was windy with 4 ft waves getting over the reef (in a small skiff) and then an hour or so to Pemba Island. With the windy conditions the visibility wasn't all that great. Maybe 25ft but I did find a few critters to photograph.

The next day the owner of the dive operation told me that the diving that day had been canceled "due to weather conditions" and said the same thing on the third day. I think he just didn't have enough divers to make it worth his while.

Then the guy had the gall to try to charge me for all 6 dives! I told him no bleepin' way! Then he said he would only charge me half. I again told him no. I would only pay 1/3 of the charge. I got 2 of the 6 dives and that's all I would pay for. He said he was going to charge my credit card for half of the amount. Since I hadn't signed anything yet I told him fine, I'd just dispute the entire charge! He immediately got religion!! And to be a good sport about it I bought a couple of overpriced T-shirts from him!

Still, I was really put out having to drag my dive gear and underwater camera with strobes all over East Africa to only get two dives!!

I've met several divers who've dove off the coast of Mozambique that say the diving is very good!

Let me know how it works out for you. jonathan@seeunderthesea.com

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.