Author Topic: Galapagos trip - live aboard or hotel? Recos?  (Read 4701 times)

peterorr1

• Subscriber?: yes
Galapagos trip - live aboard or hotel? Recos?
« on: March 22, 2010, 14:40:16 UTC »
My brother and I are planning a 10 day trip to Galapagos @end of May - around a week of diving and some land touring days as well.  Wondering whether to do a dive package with a land operator and stay in hotel like Casa Natura or go live aboard.  Cost is a factor but this is likely a once/lifetime trip so we'll figure it out if live aboard is worth it. 

Any experience with dive operators/hotels?  Highly recommended live aboards? 

Thanks very much in advance

JMorben

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Galapagos trip - live aboard or hotel? Recos?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 18:34:26 UTC »
We were on the Aggressor II in October of 2005.  It has been our only liveaboard, but we were very pleased with the service and dive experience.

marob

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:03:01 UTC »
You can only dive the best sites ie. wolf and darwin on a liveaboard. Some other sites are good but not comparable for large pelagics. If diving is your primary reason to visit the Galapagos then a liveaboard should be a primary consideration - unless you're really keen then how many tortoise & different finches do you want to see!!! To be fair they are worth seeing along with the penguins, marine iguana, sally lightfoor crabs etc but you should see them anyway on a liveaboard.

We did a ten day trip on Sky Dancer a few years ago (I think they are all restricted to 7 days now, not sure if that's been relaxed or not). Wolf & Darwin were far and away the best sites.

peterorr1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:13:35 UTC »
Looking at a few different land operators for an island hopping tour - Sub Aqua and Scuba Iguana.  Any good or bad experiences people could share?  Also curious if anyone's used Nautidiving.

Thanks in advance for any input 

danclem

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 22:54:36 UTC »
Hi:

If time is an issue, I would strongly recommend day tripping for diving. I have used Scuba Iguana, and they are quite good. As far as lodging, check out the Sol y Mar. It is great.

The only advantage to a live aboard is that you get to hit Wolf and Darwin, which are great, but you also miss out on the land tours, which are even better, and some of the local dive sites. You will also lose two days in transit. With respect to the first post, I have found the day dive sites to be very good, and have some outstanding photos from these areas, including sea lions, mola mola, several shark species, penguins, etc. I am an underwater photographer, and Wolf and Darwin were not so good in the photography department: lots of nutrients in the water, and pelagics such as hammerheads and whale sharks too far away for decent shots.

The best trip we had were five days of diving with Scuba Iguana, followed by a six day Linblad Galapagos tour. Superb trip.

Have a super trip, and if at all possible avoid diving around a full moon: viz is lower with plankton blooming.

Dan

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.