Author Topic: Dive computer for new recreational diver  (Read 4005 times)

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Dive computer for new recreational diver
« on: March 17, 2010, 17:36:39 UTC »
I am just starting my dive training, and am planning a trip to the Caribbean in June, and expect to continue as a recreational diver, taking 1-2 trips per year going forward. I'm already planning to buy mask, fins, snorkel and wetsuit, at an estimated cost of $600-$700 total.

. I would appreciate any thoughts on the following:
1. Should I buy a dive computer?
2. If yes, should I buy it before my first trip, or wait?
3. If I should buy a dive computer, should I go with a wrist-style or a console-style?
4. What features are most important, in rank order?
5. Any specific product recommendations?

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Dive computer for new recreational diver
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 17:07:10 UTC »
Should I buy a computer - YES, YES, Yes.

Which one - for basic diving (i.e. air or nitrox only. non deco) they all do pretty much the same think so either push you budget or go with something simple like a Suunto Gecko or Vyper; your choice.

Wrist or console is up to you. With wrist mounted its with you getting into or off a RIB or similar.
User changeable battery would be handy to avoid high costs for changing these.

Back to the first part, in case I didn't get the mesage across - YES buy a computer!!!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.