Author Topic: Marquesas Islands Tahiti  (Read 5438 times)

Travelnsj

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Marquesas Islands Tahiti
« on: July 16, 2008, 18:53:25 UTC »
I am looking at going to Hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva. Has anyone been? How is the diving? Best time of the year to go? Places to stay? if you have been to Rangiroa or Fakarava how do you compare?

Thanks for any info.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

scubarobin

Re: Marquesas Islands Tahiti
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:12:43 UTC »
Was on the Paul Gauguin a year ago March and dove in all of the places you mentioned except Fakarava.  Fabulous does not even begin to describe every dive.  Dolphins, 13 foot yellow fin sharks, huge manta's, beautiful coral, fun drift diving and seemingly unlimited vis.  Even the snorkeling was some of the best ever (I found Nemo - and hundreds of his relatives!).  Since I was on the ship for 14 nights am not up on shore lodging.  I know it can get VERY expensive especially for food (it is very French...).  I think you can get bad weather any time of the year.  I was fortunate as the weather was terrific.  Would avoid Nov-Jan perhaps - for higher prices if nothing else.  You may consider doing a cruise as for the money it is undoubtedly cheaper and you can see more of the area.  If you are not in to big ships then look at the Star Flyer that just started sailing there.  Have sailed with them many times (www.starclipper.com).  Low key luxury on a 4 mastered clipper ship that really sails and the sports crew is always great.  Only 170 passengers.  Lastly, I would recommend going for two weeks as it is a long and expensive flight to get there and 1 week is not nearly long enough. Have fun!  Robin  PS There is NO night(or day) life at any of these Islands except Papeete which is a place to go through on your way to paradise...
ScubaRobin

Travelnsj

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 17:35:05 UTC »
Thanks Robin for the info. FYI it is www.Starclippers.com. I sent them an email  wanting to find out how many dives a day you on that boat. Looks interesting. Thanks....Scott
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

scubarobin

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:54:18 UTC »
Good luck.  BTW I only did 6 dives in the 14 days and didn't feel cheated.  Definitely not a dive trip:) but there is so many other things to do and see - just relaxing and looking at the scenery never gets old.  The islands are so remote and many are not set up for diving or you have to go with the outside dive guides and most are very, very small so don't have the infastructure to support a lot of diving.  1 GREAT dive is worth 5 bad ones in my book!  Thanks for the correction on the website.  I kinda new when I wrote it was missing something but too lazy to look it up.  Best, Robin
ScubaRobin

Travelnsj

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 15:37:03 UTC »
Checked out the Starclippers and it looks like a great cruise ship if you are with a significant other. As a single diver who wants to dive you will not get in 30 to 40 dives in on a 10 day journey. They said "This is a sailing vessel for a cruise".

Looks interesting if I were not so into diving.

mikey

• Total Dves: Over 1000
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 16:37:12 UTC »
just back from a trip to French Polynesia, did one island of each of the 3 inner groups, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Society Isl. Planned diving in Nuku Hiva - no chance, strong wind, huge swells, dive boat out of the water, instructor on vacation, me being the only diver customer,  tough luck. The island however is awesome, did several excursions to waterfalls and canyons - breathtaking beautiful. Raiatea next, was good, however even there strong winds. Only once  could we go to the better side of the island, doing a pass dive in literaly shark soup, was fantastic. Other side less sharks but some nice spots, we heard but didnĀ“t see humpback whales. They have a nice wreck in around 2o m with an airpocket inside to surface in + a small version of a "blue hole" where we reached 54 m. Fakarava Tetamanu Village was the grande finale of this trip. Each day drifting from outside into the lagoon in not too strong current. Plenty of sharks and a nice healthy looking hard coral reef. Tetamanu is rather basic however in a beautiful setting, from the airport 1.5 hours by boat to reach the place. A bit of French helps a lot.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 16:25:23 UTC by mijoe »

hewhite

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 16:20:41 UTC »
I dove with Centre Plongee in Niku Hiva.  It no longer operates as a head boat -- charter only (US$600) for one dive and a snorkel with the melon headed dolphins.  No coral but great underwater scenery.  Though the price was very high, the three of us concluded that it was worth the price.  Island scenery also quite good.  Boat is not always available (owner has other interests) so reserve in advance.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.