Author Topic: Oriskiny Dives  (Read 3491 times)

jdevine

• Subscriber?: yes
Oriskiny Dives
« on: February 23, 2010, 22:18:28 UTC »
Has anybody been diving on the aircraft carrier Oriskiny out of Pensacola FLA?  Does anybody have any advice on an operator for such a trip.  I have 2-3 people that are looking to charter a boat to the O on 4 April but we need 2-3 more to join us to make it worthwhile.  ANybody interested in meging a dive party with us?

cc

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Oriskiny Dives
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:00:49 UTC »
Long ride out for a two tank dive. The operators with whom I have been discouraged even a bounce to the flight deck at 130'. Of course the techies do that and even more to the bottom at 200 or so ft. Several deaths at that site have most ops running pretty conservative profiles and try to keep you above 80 ft. or so. That's rather limiting since it's 70 or so ft. to the top of the island. Most if not all of the recreational diving is done around the island of the ship which has a bit of growth and fish. Viking Diving and Scuba Shack out of Pensacola did a good job for me and Downunder out of Gulf Shores did a decent job as well. You're going to be waaaay out in open water so be prepared for a adventureous trip if the wind is up and don't forget your safety sausage.  
It is a decent dive and worth the effort for an addition to the done-that sack. If at all possible, do your dive on weekdays to avoid the crowds on the weekend.  Every one ties up to the island and you get that Friday night at Walmart feeling on summer weekends.
I liked all the above ops. Scuba Shack is an old time operator and serves the best food. We got grilled hot dogs and homemade ice cream a couple of times. They were even flexible enough to stop and watch the Blue Angels a couple of years ago when everyone wanted to stop and watch. Tim Thorson (sp?) has been running trips with his boat as Viking Diving for a number of years. This is your basic family operator. Interesting though. The most convenient for me is Down Under. They have a nice big Newton that can get you out there in a reasonable time. Downside to them is that they do stick to a policy of a certain number of divers or they don't go. That aside, they're a good op and I've used them a pretty good bit for local diving.
Thanks but no thanks on the join up. For me, I've done that one enough.
Good Luck.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:05:24 UTC by cc »

jdevine

Re: Oriskiny Dives
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:08 UTC »
Thanks for the excellent writeup.  Much appreciated.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.