Author Topic: cozumel documentery  (Read 5516 times)

franksjj

• Subscriber?: yes
cozumel documentery
« on: February 03, 2010, 13:05:06 UTC »
does anyone know if the jacques cousteau 1961 tv documentary on cozumel is available
thanks
jeff

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: cozumel documentery
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 14:40:44 UTC »
This was his 1st TV documentary, so that's iffy, Jeff, but you may wish to contact:

- The Cousteau Society at (757) 523-9335/cousteau@cousteausociety.org

- The Museum of Broadcast Communications at (312) 245-8200/archives@museum.tv

-  Complete National Geographic Customer Support  http://cngsupport.nationalgeographic.com/email/contact_us.php

Please let me know what you find out.

Regards,

DocVikingo

franksjj

Re: cozumel documentery
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 14:14:46 UTC »
I checked out the sources you suggested, Doc, as well as the Berkeley archives which were suggested as THE source of such information related to the 60's.  National Geographic hasn't gotten back to me.  I could find nothing at the two archives.  Interestingly, the Cousteau Society reports that no such documentary was ever made.  There were three documentaries related to Yucatan in the 70's and maybe some footage of Cozumel was included in them but it wasn't the focus of the films.  i appears that at this point these documentaries are not available.  As a last stab, I skimmed 'The Living Sea'  a book published near in time to 1961 (published in '63)  to see if this might be the original source of the web quotes.  The book didn't make any reference to Cozumel that i could find.  So maybe this is a case of a heavily cited event that never happened --Google search found over 150 references to this ghost documentary.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.