Author Topic: Grand Bahamas - Freeport - looking for a small dive operator  (Read 5523 times)

rkrigg

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Grand Bahamas - Freeport - looking for a small dive operator
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:28:29 UTC »
I will be on Grand Bahama in Freeport March 8 through 12.  I am looking for a small dive operator.  I like the small groups max 6 and a dive operation that is safety minded but lets you dive your air and computer.  I am an advance open water diver with about 150 dives.

:oAny comments on using Caribbean Scuba Diving at Bell Channel Inn Hotel
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 22:47:12 UTC by rkrigg »
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

wonderland

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Grand Bahamas - Freeport - looking for a small dive operator
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 15:26:04 UTC »
We dove with Ray Lightbourne from Aquasports in Freeport last May.  I believe that the operation used to be called Xanadu Dive Center (at the Xanadu Resort), but Aquasports (based in the States) bought it more than a year ago and now Ray runs the Freeport operation from a local marina.  We dove with another two guys the first day we were there, but the rest of the week, it was just me and my husband and Ray.  We had a blast.  He basically asked us where we wanted to go, what kind of diving we were looking for, and off we went.  He let us dive our own profiles, with the exception of one dive on a wreck where we were 100+ feet and he wanted to make sure there were no deco limit issues.  If you contact Ray, tell him Alice & Will from Minnesota say hi!
To dive or not to dive--what a stupid question...

rkrigg

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:24:42 UTC »
Thank you, I have heard of him and the operation.  It is great to have a personal reference, will send him an email.  Stay warm
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 16:37:48 UTC »
Contact Fred Riger at http://www.grandbahamascuba.com/ and tell him I sent you.

Regards,

DocVikingo

rkrigg

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:54:33 UTC »
DocVikingo - thanks will make contact

iadiver

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 14:11:57 UTC »
Four of us went there last Thanksgiving and began with Fred Riger based on a recommendation on a different board. 

We made the mistake of showing up on a Sunday and dove a 12 foot reef.  Evidently, that is his Sunday routine. Had we realized that and shown up on a different day of the week, I'm not sure we would have continued to dive with Fred. His operation appeared safe, his boat was in good condition, it's not hard to get to his shop, and everyone was personable but Fred had his own timetable on when things happened. He's been there a long time and he's been successful so it must work for him but it didn't work for us. You may want to use him if this fits your style of diving and vacation time.

As I wrote, we showed up on Sunday for his 1 tank dive and we left two hours after the time he told us we'd be leaving. During our week of diving, we were typically getting back onboard the boat after our first dive and we'd see Fred coming out to the reef.

We ended up using Carribean Diving, mainly because it was based at the place where we stayed. They treated us well and our bottomtimes were based on our air consumption. The only drawbacks I could see were the tanks being filled to 2800 psi and the DM not being real good at pointing out things but being more of a tour guide and being there to point you back to the boat.

rkrigg

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 21:36:11 UTC »
Thanks, we decided to stay at the Bell Channel and use their on site shop (Caribbean Divers), great info thanks for taking the time to give me your input.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.