Author Topic: Suggestions for out of the way Caribbean dive local  (Read 3897 times)

McGinty

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Suggestions for out of the way Caribbean dive local
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:18 UTC »
I'm trying to put together a dive trip this summer for my wife and myself but not sure where to go.  I live in SW US and was in Truk last year but flights to western Pacific are exorbitant so I'm thinking of going to the Caribbean ($1500 – $2000 vs. $500 – $700).

I’m looking for something that doesn’t take too long or too much money to get to, preferably has a some cultural interest beyond diving in case m wife burns out on being underwater, and has good coral reefs that have not been beat to death by fin kicks, and has good dive operations.  I’m specifically NOT looking for a live aboard (sea sickness problems).  In other words I want it ALL!

Bonaire is a great spot but I’ve been there several times and I’m looking for something new.  Same with Cozumel.

I’ve read some good things about Saba.  Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Suggestions for out of the way Caribbean dive local
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 15:47:29 UTC »
Hi McGinty,

Saba is most excellent, although activites for a wife who may burn out on being underwater are limited.  Ditto for most of the rest of my suggestions.

Little Corn Island, north end of Tobago, Bimini, St. Vincent, Dominica (does have topside ecotourism activities).

Regards,

DocVikingo

McGinty

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 00:13:04 UTC »
Thanks!  Dominica looks particularly interesting.  From what I've read here it seems there are differences between the north and south.  The south having better diving (?) but more tourists and cruise ships.  I'll of course read through the recent reviews but does anyone have any strong recommendations?  It also looks a little pricey to get there but I'll look around.

McGinty

indigodive

• Indigo Dive, St. Vincent.
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 18:01:41 UTC »
Being biased, I would have to suggest St. Vincent  ;)

If you are set on Dominica take a look at Al Dive if you would prefer a more intimate / small group dive experience...

Kay Wilson,
Indigo Dive.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.