Author Topic: South Caicos Dive Operations?  (Read 7189 times)

McGinty

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
South Caicos Dive Operations?
« on: January 05, 2010, 22:40:12 UTC »
Does anyone know if South Caicos has any on island dive/hotel operations?  I spent six weeks at the old Admirals Arms Inn in 1980 and was thinking of going back with my wife for some diving.  The only place I seem to find online is South Caicos Divers but their web site has been suspended.  Are there any other options?

Thanks

McGinty

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: South Caicos Dive Operations?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 14:53:27 UTC »
Hi McGinty,

That resort/op had closed and opened 3 times since '80, each under new ownership.  It is closed again at this time.  Pity, as I like diving there.

The Admiral's Arms Inn closed decades ago. The School for Field Studies now runs marine field station out of it.

Regards,

DocVikingo

dutchfromtexas

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 18:22:37 UTC »
Hey McGinty,

I am John, the dive master from the Admiral's Armpit when you and the other students were there! I have been following happenings on South Caicos for years but nothing has managed to stay open very long. Everyone has fallen for the mediocre diving of Provo...

William Waterworth

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:58:33 UTC »
Hey McGinty,

I am John, the dive master from the Admiral's Armpit when you and the other students were there! I have been following happenings on South Caicos for years but nothing has managed to stay open very long. Everyone has fallen for the mediocre diving of Provo...

Hi John,

I worked as the Dive master out of the Admiral Arms when it was owned and run by The Caicos Co. Had a great manager back then. Was there from '74-'77 I am interested in returning to visit the grotto and witness what 40 yrs has done to the eco system.  Perhaps it's time to organize an expedition? Discovery Channel loves this kind of thing.

Bill

dutchfromtexas

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 21:16:20 UTC »
Hi Bill. I fully agree but would think that the only way to do this effectively is on a sailboat or liveaboard as the infrastructure for diving is not there any more. Ideas?

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:03:52 UTC »
Ideas?

I spoke with Aggressor fleet a while ago regarding diving South Caicos.  They indicated that if a group wished to take exclusive charter of the Turks & Caicos Aggressor II, they would accommodate them.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

dutchfromtexas

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:16:39 UTC »
Hi Doc, As I would be coming from Europe to get there, I would want something that allowed me two weeks but I could always just stay on shore in either GT, Salt or one of the other islands. I would like to get back and dive the cays to the south of South, Bush and Ambergris Cays to be exact. While I was there in '80, I got down on a local boat and did some scouting and liked what I saw. And wasn't there a trimaran doing charters in the area a few years ago?

PanzerstahlXV

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 15:02:25 UTC »
Hey Bill,

I think you were the Divemaster that preceded the Divemaster that I took over for at the Admiral's Arms Inn.  I believe his name was Kim.  Were you there when SKINDIVER magazine did their original article on the place?  I believe it ran in 76.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.