Author Topic: Diving on St. John - Chris Sawyer out of business!  (Read 5640 times)

beej1000

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Diving on St. John - Chris Sawyer out of business!
« on: December 11, 2009, 20:18:16 UTC »
Booked a vacation (air and hotel) for January, and signed up to dive on the Chris Sawyer Diving website mid-November.  Other than the robo-reply, I heard nothing for weeks. Upon calling the hotel, I was told that Chris Sawyer is out of business.

So now I have a big investment in a dive vacation with no dive operator!  The hotel recommends Cruz Bay or Low Key - anybody have any experience with either, or another recommendation?

Thanks!

motudiver

• Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Diving on St. John - Chris Sawyer out of business!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 22:48:25 UTC »
Cruz Bay was a fine operation.  My wife and I were there October 2008 and we were the only two to go out in a smaller boat.  The divemaster was great - informative, worked hard to show us what was around.  The diving was only fair - 40 ft viz and limited fish at Dever's Canyon, Charlies Drop and Grass Key.   

beej1000

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 19:52:09 UTC »
Thank you Motudiver.  I appreciate the input. 8)

blacktip

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 00:54:00 UTC »
Both Cruz Bay Watersports (At the Westin) and Low Key Watersports(in town) are professional operators. They both go predominately to the northern Cays and some small islands in Pillsbury Sound. Their boats are never really crowded. The DM's are focused. You couldn't go wrong with either.

jeffhub

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:20:13 UTC »
Sorry to be late.  We (2) have over 1500 dives each and easily 500 each are with Cruz Bay.  Can't go wrong.  You ARE staying on St. John, right?
Jeff
M & J H

beej1000

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 20:29:56 UTC »
Yes, staying at Caneel Bay.  Based on the feedback received, I booked with Low Key, since they will pick up at Caneel and Cruz Bay doesn't, at least not yet.  We are off to the island in two weeks so I will report back in when we get back.

Thanks all! :D

jeffhub

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:34:03 UTC »
Fair enough - being picked up is good. You should get to the Rhone, off Salt I. in the BVI.  Best dive in the region, whatever Low Key tells you.  If Low Key won't go, try Cruz Bay Water Sports.  I haven't checked this year, but they have almost always gone on Fridays.  I WILL be checking, because we want to book it for Friday Jan. 22, if possible (and probably for 2 succeeding Fridays.)
You need passports as well as c-cards.
Jeff
M & J H

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.