Author Topic: Rocio Del Mar  (Read 6767 times)

videodiver

• Subscriber?: yes
Rocio Del Mar
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:15:03 UTC »
Looking to do a live a  board trip on The Rocio Del Mar in the sea of Cortez, anyone have any thoughts or have been on this trip.

Thanks

diverlv

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Rocio Del Mar
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:45:20 UTC »
I had the pleasure of a weeklong trip in July 2009 with Dora on the Rocio Del Mar.

The trip was fantastic and I would highly recommend this boat and operator.  I have been on 8 liveaboards and the diving was great, the food was excellent and the staff was very attentive.

Diving all over the Caribbean, Australia and Egypt, was a great surprise to find the wonderful world of the Sea of Cortez aboard this brand new boat.

We were able to find new dives sites, move as the currents changed and not have a set dive site.  Lalo the captain made sure we had the best opportunities each day.  We ended up with 24 dives but could have made 27.  Perfect week, great crew and great diving.

The should be a must dive for anyone looking for a great, close liveaboard.

rockypointscubadive

• my favorite place---under the deep blue sea
    • rockypointscubadive
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 14:15:19 UTC »
Hi there, I am one of the lucky dive instructors on the Rocio del Mar. We depart out of Rocky point, Mexico. This is a 4 hour drive from Phoenix, Az. I can honestly say that the diving in the Sea of Cortez is my favorite. The Rocio del mar is an amazing vessel. We explore very remote locations and virgin diving. We are getting great reviews from the dive community and are very excited about the upcoming year!! Come and join us for the best liveaboard experience of your life!

walrus

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 14:38:15 UTC »
I have been lucky enough to be on the Rocio twice, July and October. Both trips were incredible. I've been to many places, been on 10 liveaboards and always looking for the place that let's me dive my profile. This is the ONE. I enjoyed the professionalism with the family attitude on this boat. If it's not what you like where you're at, they move the boat. All the diving is virgin because there's not been a liveaboard there before. The boat itself is fantastic. I'm a photogragher an there is everything I needed there. Diving with Sealion on half the dives is always an experience.
On the last trip we saw 2 different whale pods and dolphin everywhere. I hope to make this a regular trip a couple of times a year.
I would be glad to answer any questions you have.

memoran

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 00:16:28 UTC »
I went on a trip on the Rocio Del Mar the first week of November.  It was absolutely fantastic.  The crew could not have been more helpful and the diving was effortless.  We were able to play with about 18 whale sharks and tons of sea lions.  The food and accommodations could not have been better.  I highly recommend it to anyone interested in diving in the Sea of Cortez.  I think that we did a total of 24 dives over the week.  The crew followed our bubbles in zodiacs and when we finished our dive, they were right there to pick us up.  We could not have accessed for more and are planning on going again in 2010.

busadora

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 16:17:20 UTC »
This is a review we received from one of our customers. 
I wanted to share.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My wife and I took a 7-day dive trip on the Rocio Del Mar in October of 2009.  This was our first liveaboard dive trip.

Everything about the Rocio Del Mar is beautifully done.  It is a very comfortable boat.  Each stateroom has a full, private bath (which my wife especially loved).  The second deck aft is a shaded, open area which tends to be the main social area, and Poncho‚Äôs cooking is impeccable.

The daily schedule is pretty much:  choose a dive location, dive, move the boat to the next dive location, dive, and repeat this pattern throughout the day.  It is just pristine, remote diving.  There are no other boats or people around.  Above the surface, the terrain is dry and rugged, and there is an occasional fishing village.  Underwater, you will find coral and diverse sea life.

Part of the magic for me was that the boat started as a dream and a load of steel on the beach in Rocky Point.  Dora had the dream, and Lolo had the boat captain and seamanship background.  That the boat was built from scratch is in itself amazing!

Many of the crew were involved in the building of the boat, and consequently, they know the boat very well.  They interact like good friends and everything just quietly gets done.  I never heard an order given or a raised voice.

The Rocio Del Mar is just casual fun at its best.  If you want to get away, the only people around will be the ones on the boat.  We loved the Rocio Del Mar and will definitely return often.  The Rocio Del Mar in the Sea of Cortez is an experience that no other dive boat can offer.

Doug Foster

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.