Author Topic: Cabo San Lucas Dive Operations/Conditions/Restaurants  (Read 6801 times)

avschick

• Subscriber?: yes
Cabo San Lucas Dive Operations/Conditions/Restaurants
« on: July 11, 2008, 18:44:23 UTC »
We are traveling to Cabo San Lucas in early March 09.  We are staying at the Marina Fiesta resort on the marina in Cabo San Lucas.  We are looking for any recommendations on which dive operators are best, what diving conditions we can expect at that time of year (i.e., water temps, vis, etc.), and any recommendations on good restaurants in the area of our hotel. 

Any information that can be provided is welcome and appreciated.  Thanks!

Larryc

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Cabo San Lucas Dive Operations/Conditions/Restaurants
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 19:00:42 UTC »
Don't expect world class diving at Cabo, but it can be pleasant.  Several years ago I diove a couple of days with Amigos del Mar.  One was a loop through the arch that separates the Sea of Cortez from the Atlantic.  Sea lions greeted us on our return.  We also saw Cousteau's famous "sand fall," which was a major disappointment.  Two dives at Cabo Pulmo (northernmost coral reef in the Americas) was barely worth the long drive to and fro.  Ask about a pinnacle dive where it's possible to see mantas and other big stuff (too rough to do it when we were there).
The Amigos del Mar website says: January to June average air temperature is around 80 degrees F° and average water temp is around 68 degrees F°.
Hope this helps.

93scuba

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:10:25 UTC »
The water is pretty cold that time of year (around 68) and the visibility will be poor (around 30 feet)  I believe Cabo Pulmo (a 2-hour drive to the East Cape) is good for windsurfing that time of year, but not diving.  The best time to dive in the Sea of Cortez is between June or July and October or November.  Water temperature is best in October/early November (around 84 degrees, no thermocline).  If you are going in March, try to take a trip up to Magdalena Bay to see the grey whales.  I think some of the dive operators will take you there for a day trip or an overnight trip.  I doubt if it's cheap.  You can also take a day trip to Todos Santos (which I understand has become quite touristy and is not a place to dive -- I'm just recommending things for you to do other than dive unless you love cold water diving). 

We dove in Cabo many years ago with Pacific Coast Adventures.  I don't know if they are still in business.  I also hear Amigos del Mar is good. 

We stayed at the Marina Fiesta several years ago and enjoyed it.  The Office is a nice restaurant on the beach (assuming it is still there) near Marina Fiesta.  If you don't take a sunset cruise, I would recommend having a drink at the Finisterra (nice view).  We stopped going to Cabo because it no longer felt like Mexico.  We enjoyed the diving we did there, but we will probably never go back to Cabo to dive.   We do believe the diving in the Sea of Cortez is some of the best diving in the world if the conditions are right.  We have done a lot of diving in other parts of Baja that we prefer over Cabo.  We're not party animal time share presentation people which is what Cabo has become.

Kurt

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 09:52:24 UTC »
Hi, i just came back from a 5 day dive vacation in Cabo San Lucas. I have been diving with "Sunshine Dive & Charter". Lars and his team were great. Good equipment, excellent service, experienced dive guides and the only dive shop in Cabo which provides Nitrox for free. The dive conditions were great, 60+ feet visibility, water temperature 77 degrees and i have seen sealions, schools of cow-nose rays and devil rays and a lot of tropical fish. The marine life was amazing. On my 3rd day we went to Gordo Bank, 1.5 hours away from Cabo San Lucas where we have seen more than 150 hammerhead sharks. I have had a great time diving in Cabo San Lucas and with Sunshine Dive & Charter.

Here is their website  www.bajadivecharter.com

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.