Author Topic: Dominica diving  (Read 8598 times)

Twodivers in NJ

• Subscriber?: yes
Dominica diving
« on: October 09, 2009, 15:48:47 UTC »
We're going to Dominica and have picked out a couple of places to stay, but they are 45 minutes to an hour from Nature Island Dive, our preferred operator.

We'd consider other operators, like Dive Dominica, but we don't don't want to get stuck diving with cruise ship day-trippers.

Also does anyone know of any dive shops on the north end of the island?

Any ideas?

JMorben

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: Dominica diving
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 17:03:28 UTC »
Have you considered staying at the cottage which is owned by Nature Island Dive?  We stayed there several years ago, and it was wonderful.  There is an upper and lower unit.  We were in the upper unit.  The lower unit was empty.

Twodivers in NJ

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 20:34:14 UTC »
Can you advise re any amenities such as pool, TV, internet, etc.?

JMorben

• Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:48:52 UTC »
I do not recall if there was a TV (I do not think so).  There is no pool, but the entire west wall of the cottage opens up to the ocean.  The cottage is right next to the water (just steps away).   I am also not sure regarding internet.  Nature Island Dive is a great dive operation.  All surface intervals are done back at the shop.  However, they do take out cruise ship divers.  They also will do night dives.  You will love Dominica.  It is a very poor country, but incredibly beautiful.

greggbrown

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 14:03:47 UTC »
We stayed at the Fort Young Hotel in Roseau and had a great time.  They arranged dive master and boat and it was a good operation.  Diving is a 30 minute boat ride, reef is in very good condition.  We saw several sea horses and frog fish.  The cruise ships show up daily in Roseau, but most of 'them' load into buses for island tours.  The few that stay in town help support a nice selection of restaurants and commercial area.  I wouldn't write off Roseau if you like diversions other than scuba.

husker

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 21:01:31 UTC »
Nature Island Divers has a cottage right on ocean coast... If it fits your needs and
it is available you will like it.  There is a upper & lower to the cottage.  Wife & I stayed
in upper & it is wonderful.  It is about a 5 minute walk to the dive shop. The
dive operation is great as is Tony's Cafe.  So nice to get away from the tourist and
spend some time with the locals.  See our full report in Undercurrent trip reports
with Dominica search.  Dale & Madeline Treadway.  I can send e-mail slideshow
if requested.    trdwy@tconl.com
Dale

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 12:04:56 UTC »
Ditto Nature Island Dive for both diving & accommodations in the south (http://www.natureislanddive.com/index.html)

In the north, recommended for diving is Cabrit's (http://www.cabritsdive.com/). Th eSister Sea Lodge almost next door is very nice (http://www.sistersealodge.com/)

Have fun.

Regards,

DocVikingo

seafan

• Subscriber?: no
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 23:12:37 UTC »
I am looking at possible bringing a group there this summer and have been checking out several places and dive operations.  We really want to do most dives along the northern end (with maybe 1-2 days diving the southern coast).  Am thinking about 3 days of 3 tank boat dives and 2 days of 2 tank boat dives so people can do some island exploring ini the afternoon if they want to.

For anyone who has been there in June or July... do we need to have AC in the rooms?

Life's a beach... then you dive!

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:05:12 UTC »
Hi seafan,

Look for daytime highs around the mid-80s and several degrees cooler at night.  Of course if you hit a heat wave it could get into the low 90s.

Regards,

DocVikingo

seafan

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 14:05:54 UTC »
Hi seafan,

Look for daytime highs around the mid-80s and several degrees cooler at night.  Of course if you hit a heat wave it could get into the low 90s.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Decided to go with AC.   ;D

Am thinking about booking us into Castle Comfort but want to make sure that we can dive north sites as well as south.  Will see if I can arrange for a package with 2 days of 3 boat dive trips up north and 3 days of 2 tank dives along the southern part. 

Since you seem to know about the diving there... what's your recommendation?

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 16:53:08 UTC »
Hi seafan,

No such pakages of which I am aware. It's way too far between the northern and southern sites to go by day dive boat. 

Regards,

DocVikingo

rramar

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 19:32:47 UTC »
Diving on the South end is way better than the North. We added 2 days onto to our trip to try it out a few years back and were disappointed. Our worst dive on the southern end was as good as  any we3 did on the North. Haven't gone North since. The dive shop near the medical school up North was very friendly and accommodating but they simply need a better product.
When staying at Castle Comfort we never dove with the cruise ship boat. That is a separate boat.
Some of the best diving is on the outer side of Scott's Head but not always available because of currents. If your group is experienced enough get them to take you out there.
 There are only 3 or 4 sites outside,Condos,Swiss Cheese and a couple others. They were very nice sites as the currents feed the corals out there. But really not for novices if the current get going.
Don't expect a lot of big fish as Dominica is more coral,critter and macro land. Lots of colorful crinoids and corals and plenty of uncommon stuff,electric rays,flying gunards,bat fish ...... Never been there (and go every year) and come home without seeing something I had never seen before.
The reason to stay at CC is the shore diving especially at night. All sorts of weird stuff but you have to look. Not a pretty reef like Bonaire. Lots of Boulders and sea earchins but  lots of other stuff you just have to look a bit. Lot of orange ball corallamorphs(anemones?) and some really neat sea urchins. Usually a decorator crab with a couple of sizeable anemones attached to his (or her) shell. Lobsters  etc.
Topside's also and adventure.
But bring your hiking boots. You have to climb some boulders if you want to get under the falls but it's worth the effort. The rain forrest is lush and almost seems primordial in places. So it only fits that the diving should have lots of strange stuff. Enough of my rambling. I really like Dominica if you can't tell. Email me if you want more info.
The only thing people complain about is the food. Starchy to say the least.  Have a great trip.

seafan

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:45:31 UTC »
Great to hear about the little critters.... I am a macro freak!  Spent 10 days diving Lembeh the end of December and bought a super macro jsut for that trip.  Guess I'll be taking it with me on this one too!

Taking a small group down to Coz next weekend but will email you when I get back.

Twodivers in NJ

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 11:23:13 UTC »
Anyone know what the water temp is like in late March?

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.